Windows 10 update screwed Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Mike_Brown, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Mike_Brown

Mike_Brown Bit poster

I just had a major update to Windows 10 and now I cannot access windows due to Paralles stuck in an infinite loop.
    I have a Paralles Shared Profile window on screen saying that it will log me out to apply the new shared profile settings and that when I log in again a whole load of host computer folders will be mapped to the virtual machine.
    Suffice to say when I log in again I get the same screen which remains on top of any other and cannot be dismissed without letting it log out, only to have it reappear again!!!!!!
    There is also a Network error window saying it cant access //mac/home/desktop but can't do anything about it due to the window above.
    Was in the middle of a lot of work when this update popped so may have lost the lot! Cheers Microsoft.
    Any ideas anyone?

2. ThomasO4

ThomasO4 Bit poster

Hi, I have a similar problem. Since the windows10 had done an upgrade I have lost the connectivity to my Mac desktop, all the desktops links on the windows10 are gone and my windows10 desktop is empty. I have restored a old windows10 image and have tried the update process again, bit with success. I also have installed the Parallels Tools manually, without any success.

Does anyone have an idea to resolve the problem?

3. Mike_Brown

Mike_Brown Bit poster

I got in touch with Parallels Technical (on a Sunday!) by live chat and the chap was able eventually, by allowing him to take control of my iMac, to sort it out.
    This is a reprint of the steps he did (they send it to you for future reference)
    1. Actions > Configure > Security > Check "Isolate Windows from Mac"
    2. Start > Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs > Uninstall Parallels Tools
    3. Reinstall Parallels Tools - http://kb.parallels.com/en/115835
    4. Actions > Configure > Security > Un Check "Isolate Windows from Mac"
    5. Start Parallels Desktop for Mac.
    The important step seems to be Step 1. as I tried everything else he did prior to contacting Technical but not that.
    Hope this helps you.
    Mike

4. CarolB1

CarolB1 Bit poster

Im having the same problem! Any ideas anybody?

5. Mike_Brown

Mike_Brown Bit poster

Read the reply above...

6. BlogF

BlogF Bit poster

Mike Brown, thank you.

I did as you said and it worked here!

7. CarolB1

CarolB1 Bit poster

Thank you Mike. I have tried the process recommended but I had some problems.
    1. I successfully isolated Windows and found Parallel Tools in Windows and uninstalled it.
    2. I looked at the link to re-install Tools but when I went to Actions, the only option I had to reinstall Tools was to use a CD which I didn't have (having originally downloaded the program).
    3. So in Mac I went to my Parallels account and tried re-installing the complete Parallels (I am on version 11) hoping that that would include Tools and make the necessary connection to Windows. I hadn't actually uninstalled my existing version, I wonder if I should have?. It appeared to install correctly but I have no way of knowing if it had actually overwritten the existing version of kept it - if you know what i mean.
    4. I then reconnected Windows to Parallels
    5. I went back into Windows and I still have a small screen, no links to my files saved within Mac, or access to my printers.
    6. In Windows I have tried to see if Tools is installed and I can't see that it is.

Any ideas?!!!!! Should I have uninstalled Parallels 11 from Mac before re-downloading it? Does Tools sit within the main Parallels programme? How else can I re-install Tools given that I don't have the CD?

Many thanks in advance

8. Mike_Brown

Mike_Brown Bit poster

One thing the tech did ask was whether I had v12 or still had v11. Seems it could be something with v11. Why not try a live chat with the tech dept. and let them fix it?

9. CarolB1

CarolB1 Bit poster

Thanks Mike, think I'll have to. I couldn't see how to do that, I saw directions to this forum and a Twitter. Can you help? Sorry to be a pain :)

10. Haraldv1

Haraldv1 Bit poster

Hey!
    I have a similar issue.
    - MacOS Sierra
    - Parallels 12
    - Windows 10 (company domain)
    Yesterday I got a bleuscreen after logging in to mac after os x its screen lock was activated.
    After Windows got restarted I have an infinite loop of "Shared Profile" window and to log out. I tried to uninstall Parallels Tools - but files in C:/Program Files and drivers where still on system - but not at "Programs & Features" any more.
    Installing Parallels Tools again end up in a bluescreen again - a message with VIDEO is there. When I manually try to remove the Graphik-Driver Windows ends up also in a bluescreen with same VIDEO message.
    In Safe Mode I cannot install Parallels Tools -> the installer stops with failed and need to restart.
    I also tried to remove all Shared Settings, later Isolate VM, ..
    One big change I did was update Mac OS 10.11 to 10.12 7 days ago - but I had no problems with the windows VM until yesterday.
    I also tried to create a new user and remove the affected user. But no change :-/
    Now I got Windows working again and I just move the message to log out to the site so I cannot see it anymore :) but unfortunately the Shared Links (Downloads, Documents, Pictures,...) do not work anymore.
    This time (I had this already with Parallels 10 + Windows 8.1 after changing Shared Network to Bridge Mode) I do not want to ask my company to reinstall Windows VM.

11. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Please follow the steps and check whether it helps to resolve the issue.

12. DerrikC

DerrikC Bit poster

I performed both methods 1 and 2 in KB123990 without any resolution.
    [3 doesn't make sense, it's asking to delete SharedProfile.dll and then create a new plugin folder and copy SharedProfile to it but it does not specify where the new SharedProfile.dll comes from].
    I have verified that the correct registry settings are in place but I continue to get the dialogue box telling me to log off and log back in to apply the folder mapping.
    What should I try next?
    I am running Parallels version 12.1.1, OSX 10.11.6 host, Windows 10 VM.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  13. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello Derrick, please follow the below steps and let us know how it goes :
    1. Take snapshot of your virtual machine by going to Mac menu bar -> Actions-> Take Snapshot
    2. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Plugins
    3. Create a new folder inside of Plugins folder and move SharedProfile.dll file to it.
    4. Press OK on the pop-up message to relogin.
    Thanks,
    Swati
    Follow Parallels Support on Twitter: @ParallelsCares

14. DerrikC

DerrikC Bit poster

Method 3 has resolved my issue.

15. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Glad to hear that. Reach us out if you have any questions in future.