Parallels Desktop 12, MacOS Sierra & Win10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HarryR2, Sep 21, 2016.

1. tgilles

tgilles Bit poster

Doesn't fix it really, helps.. but real issue seems to get worse if on an external monitor.. Parallels has dropped the ball horribly on this.

2. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

could you post all of your settings? I have a Windows 10 Vm and i have not seen the lag present. It actually drags windows and resizes a lot faster than VMware 8.5 will.

3. MarcoD2

MarcoD2 Bit poster

Damn... i thought it was a problem of my mac... but as I see is very diffused...

I've tried to get rid of all the VM and reinstall from zero everything but no changes. My Win7 pro installation seems to be running on an old P4! :(
    Hope they'll find a solution. I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with AMD Radeon R9 M370X

4. BurkhardP

BurkhardP Bit poster

Thank you! I downgraded to PD11 this morning and everything is fine again. Spent several hours time and 100,- Euro on two PD12-licences without any advantage. No fun in this show!

5. BurkhardP

BurkhardP Bit poster

Have you tried an installation with more than one monitor?

Is there a way to export all settings or to send you a configuration-file? Or please tell me, what setting you need. I don't want to make so many screen-shots.

6. ITM_uk

ITM_uk Bit poster

I'm glad I've come across this post. Have exactly the same issue.
    After upgrading to Parallels Desktop 12 from Parallels Desktop 11, and further updating my Windows 10 with Windows 10 Anniversary update - I am really struggling with Windows 10 performance.
    There are lags in window switching, Start menu opening, explorer folder opening etc. Applications open much slower. It is a DISASTER.

Not sure what caused this performance reduction, installing Anniversary update to Windows 10, or updating to Parallels Desktop 12.
    Does everyone here have Anniversary update on top of their Windows 10?

macOS 10.12
    Parallels Desktop 12.0.2 (41353)
    Windows 10 Version 1607

7. BurkhardP

BurkhardP Bit poster

It's the update from PD11 to PD12. I use VMs with Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 simultaneously and with the latest patches applied (Win10=Version 1607). Upgrading to PD12 created the problems and downgrading back to PD11 solved them. No changes in Windows, no changes in PD-configuration.

On what hardware have you encountered the problems? Do you use an external monitor?

8. ITM_uk

ITM_uk Bit poster

I run PD12 on MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) with Intel i7 2.3 GHz, 8GB RAM.
    Have iMac as an external monitor, but Windows 10 runs full-screen on MacBook, while the external monitor is used for macOS apps.

Will try downgrading to PD11.
    Thanks.

9. BurkhardP

BurkhardP Bit poster

Have you tried disconnecting the external monitor?

10. ITM_uk

ITM_uk Bit poster

It does feel more responsive without the external monitor. But I am not quite sure that it's as fast as on PD11.

I run a benchmark suggested by HarryR2 - http://oortonline.gl/#run
    Here is the result:
    With external monitor - Total 3430
    Without external monitor - Total 4660

11. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

You can generate technical data for your entire system with parallels and this will have everything inside it.

What you need to do is go to your open VM windows and scroll to the top and to help. go to generate Technical Data and wait for the files to be generated. Once it pops up asking to send the data click the details button and then in that window click "Show in Finder" button.

This will open a folder that has a bunch of files inside it. Copy the folder itself and upload to a file sharing service of your choice or message me and i will provide my email for you to send me the file. This way i can see all the system data and settings. Thanks

12. ToddD3

ToddD3 Bit poster

I am using Desktop 11.2.2 running under Sierra (technical lya working combination). Unlike others though I am running a Snow Leopard installation in my VM. The same lag occurs and the boot flag option disables my mouse altogether so I have not been able to benefit from that workaround.

13. ITM_uk

ITM_uk Bit poster

Dustin, as you suggested I have uploaded PrlProblemReport archive with the Technical Data and sent you a link via PM.

14. martmeister

martmeister Member

I find it odd that no one from Parallels has chimed in on this yet. Are we basically in a holding pattern until macOS Sierra and Parallels 12 is supported? I was under the impression that P12 was compatible with macOS Sierra?

15. ITM_uk

ITM_uk Bit poster

Is external monitor also within your pattern?

16. GregoryP2

GregoryP2 Bit poster

I'm also struggling. It's almost unusable. Just dragging icons around is slow.

17. ChristophW1

ChristophW1 Bit poster

To add to these reports. (MB Pro Mid2015, *no* external devices attached, no mouse, no monitor)
    I had PD12 already installed on 10.11. I installed a brand new VM using an AU image from MSDN, and then installed VS into it. Everything super performant, no lags no nothing. Just as expected.
    Then I upgraded to 10.12 macOS Sierra (mostly for the security fixes they did not provide for 10.11, go figure). At that point Parallels and the VMs slowed to a crawl. Even shutting down the VM was nigh on impossible. Unusable.
    So it has to be related to Sierra, with a slight but: I wanted to watch a video in Chrome on an external monitor. And that was impossibly slow too. So there has to be a graphics change in Sierra that also affects PD in some way.

Chris

18. RichardS13

RichardS13 Bit poster

Add my configuration to the list: MacMini (16GB RAM) with OS v10.12, Parallels v12.02, and Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1607 (build 14393.222)). Parallels is glacially slow...so slow that it's unusable so I just may run Bootcamp for a while until the lag issue gets sorted out. Ugh.

19. DomenicoV

DomenicoV Bit poster

Sad Sad Sad, I too wish I read these comments before jumping in with version 12..... And no feedback from Parallels on this issue...Any chance I can get my money back? Any chance I can get compensated for time lost on my projects?

I have a Mac Pro 2010, 56 gb Ram, dual 2.4 ghz Qaud core Intel Xeons with AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB graphics....

All was peachy before 12 and sierra I could load Win 10, Ubuntu 16, CAE Linux and even my old XP all at once with no issues, now I am unimpressed with with Parralels lack of response or fix, but their little propaganda machine is running strong......
    edit:
    Iad only started win 10 to do some work after upgrading to 12 when the slow down happened, I have since opened Ubuntu 16 and see no problem with speed, all is good.....
    Ubuntu Studio also runs well
    Windows XP runs well - CAD becomes laggy
    Looks like it's a Windows 10 issue? .......now Win 10 does not boot up, hangs at the"window" logo .......

Okay I got out the macbook pro, also running PD12 but not Sierra and all works well, looks like it is a sierra issue.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  20. ChristophW1

ChristophW1 Bit poster

10.12.1 did not fix any Parallels issues (ie as an added "bonus" PD12 crashes when doing an update check)
    Any word from Parallels please?
    Chris