Keyboard input not recognized/screen blacking when in Win10/El Capitan

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Stuart Miller, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Stuart Miller

Stuart Miller Member

I am using Parallels 12.0.2 (41353) with Windows10 and have had persistent behaviors that are puzzling. Most of the time they occur when in Coherence mode, but sometimes also when in Full Screen. I will open Quicken in Win10 and use it for a while. It remains in memory while I move back to working with apps under MacOS. After a while (often 30 minutes or so), when I return to Win10, the screen is blacked out and it is not possible to bring the display up again, although the underlying program (Quicken) is still open and moving the cursor to a screen location that would activate something in Quicken does seem to interact with the program. However, it is not possible to close the app and the only way out is to abandon the Windows VM and start again. Also, under these circumstances (but on separate occasions), working on macOS apps while Parallels/Win10/Quicken is open results in keyboard input suddenly not being recognized by macOS. Cursor movement and mouse clicks work - but no text input is recognized. The way around that is to switch mac to the Win10 VM and conduct some activity. After doing that, returning to the macOS environment then accepts text input.
    Have no idea whether this is a Parallels, Win10, Quicken, or macOS problem but the fact that they only occur when Win10 is active leads me to believe it is a Parallels problem.
    I would appreciate any ideas.

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

3. Stuart Miller

Stuart Miller Member

Many thanks for the idea. I did this, and it will take a few days to validate that it has fixed the problem.

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  5. Stuart Miller

Stuart Miller Member

Well, the problem remains. I had left Parallels/Win10/Quicken open overnight. When I returned to the system in the morning, macOS would not accept any text input. I activated Quicken; closed it; returned to macOS and text was now accepted.
    Any new ideas?

6. Stuart Miller

Stuart Miller Member

Now the problem persists. Although I have the Win10 VM open and have been using it, all the apps there are closed and as soon as I return to macOS Safari, no text input is accepted - although cursor movement and touchpad clicks work.