Mapping Mac keyboard to support Windows keystrokes for Excel

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AnarT, Oct 24, 2016.

1. AnarT

AnarT Bit poster

Hi - I am using Parallels Desktop for MAC v12. I have a MAC keyboard but am using a virtual machine with Windows 10 to run Excel 2016. I want to use all the Windows keystrokes I know to keep up my performance/productivity in Excel. At present, when I try to type in a key to do a windows command, the keyboard does not respond. For example,
    - on a windows PC using a windows keyboard, when I type F6 and Shift F6 I can toggle between split screen panes within an excel sheet. However, when I type this on a mac keyboard in the parallel virtual VM running windows, those keys do something else.
    - so on ..
    Please help.

2. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

By Default the F-Keys on the Mac keyboard do other functions (brightness, etc). Try pressing fn+F6 or fn+shift+f6 and report back if that works.

3. AnarT

AnarT Bit poster

Thanks, I have tried that in the past. Tried again after this note and those do not work.

4. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Try this... go to preferences in parallels. Go to keyboard settings (sorry, I don't have it in front of me so kind of hunt it down). There is an option to send keys and there is a dropdown with "always", "never" and "auto". Switch it to always. It will pop up a thing for security saying it needs accessibility. Press the lock icon (type in password) and put a checkbox next to Parallels.

I know this very vague, when I get back to my mac tomorrow, I'll send real instructions. But try to follow these anyway and let me know if they work. Try both just pressing the f-keys and then with fn+f-keys and let me know how it goes.