Replacing iMac hard drive with ssd running Sierra and windows 10 with parallel 11

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RanjanK1, Oct 31, 2016.

1. RanjanK1

RanjanK1 Bit poster

I am planning to replace my iMac hard drive with SSD. I am running sierra and windows 10 using parallel 11. If I clone the drive with disc utility or carbon copy cloner will the parallel 11 and the virtual windows be copied also. Or will I have to reinstall parallel 11 and windows 10 again.

2. Hello RanjanK1, to be in a safer side you can make a copy of your Windows.pvm file to any external drive and you can reinstall Parallels Desktop again on the same machine if you have any trouble. here is the download link for Parallels Desktop 11 installation media.

3. RanjanK1

RanjanK1 Bit poster

Thanks Pradeep. I tried finding the .pvm file in the parallel folder in the documents through finder. I can't find it. The parallel folder is empty.
    I do time machine backups of my computer on an external drive. would that have saved the files.

4. Hi, just to make sure that the pvm file exists on your Mac machine, please use the spotlight and type .pvm and hit search.
    If you are able to find the pvm file then please backup.

5. RanjanK1

RanjanK1 Bit poster

Hi I did find the windows 10.pvm file and i have saved it. I am in the process of cloning my hard drive. Hopeful will not require the file. Thanks for the help. If I have a problem I will come back to you.

6. Sounds great! please write back to us if you have any further questions and we will be happy to help!