beta tester discount

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by anomaly256, Sep 11, 2007.

1. anomaly256

anomaly256 Member

Do parallels still offer the discount on parallels 3.0 to previous beta testers?
    If so, where/how do I purchase the discounted order?

Thanks

2. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

We did offer a free version of Parallels Desktop 3.0 as a gift of appreciation to all active and helpful participants of Private Beta Testing program when it ended, so if you've participated in private Beta of PD 3.0 and still didn't receive your key - please send me a PM with your Beta registration email and the email address you've used for sending us beta reports.

Please mind that this offer is valid only for the private Beta participants, public Beta program for the most recent PD 3.0 update isn't the same thing and although we highly appreciate all the effort made by public beta testers to help us with improving the program, there are no discounts available for the public Beta to my knowledge.
    But please keep in mind that if you are owner of the previous Parallels Desktop major version (2.x) - you can purchase the new version with a considerable discount from our website, the upgrade key available for purchase can be used with any US/UK key from the PD 2.x version. You can purchase the 3.0 upgrade key here - http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/ , just click on the "Upgrade to the current version" link on the right side of the web page.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  3. anomaly256

anomaly256 Member

I was in a much earlier beta test program but neglected to purchase a copy at the time, I was just wondering if that previous offer still applied but I guess not since you're marketing 3.0 as a totally new product. The reason I neglected to purchase a copy at that time was because Parallels Desktop for mac still did not work properly for bootcamp. I heard 3.0 had much better support and so considered purchasing it today. However, after downloading build 5160 (I had to create a fake email account to get a trial key to test with since your trial system will only email the original expired key and not a fresh one despite my not using the product for many months and many revisions... and I'm not purchasing until it works) I find that bootcamp support still fails when multiple 'bootcamp' partitions are present. An earlier beta did work with my current setup quite nicely however without the 3d support....

I do hope you guys get it right soon, it /is/ a good product and I'm sure what we see on the forums are only a fraction of the actual issues your devs have to face to create this product.. but again, if it's not working there's no point for me to purchase. And I really want to purchase a copy and have OS utopia on my laptop.

4. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

5. anomaly256

anomaly256 Member

Yes, I have read through that KB before and have followed it's instructions exactly.
    The problem is Parallels claiming the partition is not bootable once it's been informed which partition to use. It unmounts the drive, then says 'no bootable partition found'. However this condition is only intermittent. It fails ~19 times, then works on the ~20th for example. Then will fail for some large random number of attempts after until eventually booting successfully again.

6. anomaly256

anomaly256 Member

Note: I've also ran various checking tools and my GPT and MBR are perfectly synchronized, and have no trouble booting