PD12 Messes Up Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MobyR, Aug 20, 2016.

1. KevinW7

KevinW7 Bit poster

I understand this problem is a diffucult one with the problem duration apparently at 49 days and counting, but I don't have any visibility as to when this will be resolved. It is very difficult to open support issues with Parallels - even though we have a product subscription. I need a workaround - how can I go to version 11? Is there an estimate of when this will be addressed?

Thank you.

2. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @KevinW7 ,
    We have escalated this issue to our Engineering Team with high priority, while we do not have ETA for the fix.

StuartE likes this.
  3. ScottA5

ScottA5 Bit poster

Please let me know when fixed.
    I have at least 13 workstations (iMac 27" + Thunderbolt + 21" monitors) this is preventing me from upgrading to Sierra and to PD12 as they cannot have the "separate spaces" feature turned on -
    need to be able to run Win 7 in full screen on all monitors and be able to swipe between VMs as well
    as have older Win 7 software that doesn't do well with multi monitors even in win 7 lol.

The test upgraded station (MBPro connected to 2 24" monitors) has the black screens unless I check that option in Mission Control
    Also the mouse pointer with win 7 is now buggy and disappears a lot that we are still trying to troubleshoot :(
    ie unusable software right now and I can't recommend an upgrade to Mac OS Sierra nor to PD12 for my company use right now with our work flow.

4. TomG4

TomG4 Bit poster

Can't wait for a solution:
    Just bought two licenses for PD 12.
    Am I right that PD11 is working with OS Sierra and multiple monitors?
    Is it possible to get an PD11 License unless the Problem is fixed??????
    How do I have to downgrade to PD11? Any things I have to do first before installing PD11?
    Hope to get an fast answer form Parallels because I can't really work with only one monitor.

5. StuartE

StuartE Bit poster

Are we there yet?

Still waiting on this fix to be able to deploy PD12.

6. MattJ2

MattJ2 Member

Please fix. I'm having the issue too. I recall having similar issues when upgrading to Parallels 10 or 11... Can't remember which, but I know it was an issue before. Very frustrating!

7. NathanH2

NathanH2 Bit poster

What is going on with this??? I have just paid my annual subscription for two licenses (office and home office)....I downgraded to PD11 until we get an actual fix.

StuartE likes this.
  8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We have initiated refund for Parallels Desktop 12 Standard Upgrade.

9. MattJ2

MattJ2 Member

I've been in touch with them via Twitter PM and email, and they keep insisting on using separate desktop spaces per display. I keep telling them this is not how it worked before and it's not a viable solution. Hopefully they can fix it soon because it's super inconvenient.

StuartE likes this.
  10. SladeE

SladeE Bit poster

Same story as MattJ2... they all keep saying to use separate spaces per display and calling it a "solution". If only we could have direct communication with staff that can actually discuss what a real solution would look like as opposed to scripted Tier 1 support answers.

11. MattJ2

MattJ2 Member

Has anyone tried to downgrade back to Parallels 11, while using Mac OS Sierra? Are they compatible?

12. MikeC6

MikeC6 Bit poster

Another frustrated user with the same concern...tagged for updates

13. JanVis

JanVis Junior Member

Yes. I've upgraded and downgraded a few times without problems. You should still keep a backup though just in case.
    As I understand it, the way Parallels 11 did fullscreen was actually a hack. And they removed it in Parallels 12. I'm hoping they find a better way of doing it in some Parallels 12 update or maybe even reintroduce the hack.
    I might even rethink the way I work and see if I can work with separate spaces per monitor. For now I'll be sticking with Parallels 11 though.

14. JuanS2

JuanS2 Bit poster

Had the same issue and had to down grade to 11 bummer.

15. DonP

DonP Bit poster

It was a hack, yea, they did a fake fullscreen. They need to figure out how to do that again though.
    When I have multiple Windows desktops open on my multi-mon display, having to switch both halves of the VM separately is annoying and confusing.
    And saying that I have to change how /literally every other interaction with my system works/ is hilarious. If an app requires you to /change how you use your computer even when you aren't using the app/ a product manager should realize he's come to a bad decision.
    edit: Oh and "this is better for gamers" - okay, most of us here aren't gamers we're trying to do work. Let there be an option for gamers to do this if they want, but don't screw the business people.

MarcusR1 and KorkyPlunger like this.
  16. MobyR

MobyR Bit poster

As the original OP of this thread I'm not amused that Parallels have swept this under the carpet. The twitter feed won't acknowledge the issue even exists and Parallels reps here just state time and again the issue has been escalated and there is no ETA for a fix.
    Makes me realise that when I do have to get a new machine it will have to be a PC and working in a VM is not a permanent solution

17. SonnyN1

SonnyN1 Bit poster

Does anybody here know that Release Input shortcut in PD 12 is also no longer works, when I'm in fullscreen, press that shortcut and PD 12 does nothing.

18. cyclops

cyclops Member

Gotta say, I'm really disappointed with Parallels on this. It looks like a lot of us are using non-separate desktops, and the Development team is deciding to ignore the issue that is being caused. I've switched back to VMWare Fusion, due to the fact that the multiple monitors works correctly. I also like the fact that VMWare decided not to do a 'paid upgrade' for their current version.

19. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

My sentiments exactly. I have used Parallels for 4 years to do daily software development work using a MBP and two external displays, and now I cannot use PD12 because of this issue. I used to recommend Parallels to my colleagues as a great solution, and now I no longer can.

As a software developer (and, ironically, former high-profile PC/console gaming developer), I can appreciate the challenges in supporting fullscreen well -- in fact, when I used to work on PC games, fullscreen support was the bane of my existence. However, we had no excuse and had to make it work because our customers demanded it.

I'm tired of checking these forums every day trying to see if there's a fix for this problem, and being stuck using the older PD11 even though I've already paid for my license renewal. I'm ok with waiting for a proper fix; these things take time to do right -- I just need to know someone's actually trying to fix it.

What I would really appreciate is someone from Parallels (Dmitry, perhaps?) at least telling us whether they are attempting to address this issue at all.

Thanks for listening.

20. SonnyN1

SonnyN1 Bit poster

While wait for the fix, you can manually fix this by Open System Preferences > Mission Control > (Checked) Displays Have separate Spaces