Do not sleep when lid closed

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox Feature Suggestions' started by MichaelS23, Nov 2, 2016.

1. MichaelS23

MichaelS23 Bit poster

Could you please add a feature that would prevent laptop going to sleep when lid is closed, i.e. sometime you want to close the lid but keep the laptop running. Feature similar to one in free software like: ZZ or InsomniaX.
    Thank you.

2. OlegK1

OlegK1 Junior Member

Yeah, it would be quite useful

DavideN1 and ChristianH25 like this.
  3. ArsalanA

ArsalanA Bit poster

Having the ability to close the lid without sleeping gives the ability to save battery while MacBook is attached to a second monitor.

DavideN1 likes this.
  4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ArsalanA, we can see that what you're trying to convey probably relates to the 'Do Not Sleep' function in Parallels Toolbox. Are you suggesting that this option should also grant a battery-saving feature?

DavideN1 likes this.
  5. ArsalanA1

ArsalanA1 Bit poster

Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    If the "Do not sleep" function also works when the MacBook lid is closed, then ignore my suggestion.
    My point was If this feature prevents the MacBook from sleeping, lid can be closed while using a second monitor. This can save battery as the
    laptop screen will not remain ON while not needed.

Thanks again

DavideN1 likes this.
  6. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Understood. All feedback are reviewed by the management and will be implemented depending on the level of requirability. Thanks for your time on this.

DavideN1 likes this.
  7. RyanM9

RyanM9 Bit poster

Hi,
    I would like the "Do Not Sleep" feature to override my macbook from going to sleep so that I could close the lid and still have my parallels windows session continue running. As best as I can tell, when I close the lid/screen on my macbook it goes to sleep, even when I have the "Do Not Sleep" feature activated. Perhaps a separate toolbox item for "Do Not Sleep when Closing Lid" feature.

8. Michael42

Michael42 Bit poster

@parallels support - will this feature going to be included in the upcoming update? It's been almost 2 years since this thread was opened.
    The requested feature is simply to have the ability to disable auto-sleep when the lid is closed while the AC power is not connected....not connected.
    Very useful when connected to an external display and not charging the battery (AC not connected)....or when just simply moving around and prefers to leave the computer running to process certain things....

DavideN1 likes this.
  9. ChristianH25

ChristianH25 Bit poster

Do not sleep when the lid is closed is an excellent function that works in windows running on bootcamp and Windows Remote Desktop for iOS; it is perfect for remote users who leave the Macbook at home or office and remote in from the field, because it saves the life of the expensive screen and ultimately preserves the machine. Love paralells because you get them both OS and more together, glad to be away from bootcamp but would very much appreciate this option

DavideN1 likes this.
  10. Alex Patsay

Alex Patsay Parallels Team

Unfortunately this feature requires significant "intrusion" into macOS using kernel extension. With Apple phasing out kexts and limiting their capabilities we cannot justify investing in this functionality, as much as we would like to deliver it.

MatthewR20 likes this.