Desktop 12 and Fedora 23 or 24 - anyone tried?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Mark Fine, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Documentation for Desktop 12 (was hard to find too) says that Fedora 23 and 24 are supported. I upgraded to 12 while still running Fedora 22, which has been end of line for a number of months. Anyone try Fedora 23 or 24 under Desktop 12 yet? Other than selecting the pvm from the dock icon doesn't automatically start the VM (just starts the command center), any other bugs?

2. Blockfish

Blockfish Bit poster

Odd, support told me neither Fedora 23 or Fedora 24 are supported. Only option was to ask for a refund- unparalleled crap support. Trying a Fedora 22 and stepwise upgrade to 24. Stings a bit as I was advised by Parallels to upgrade to version 12 for Fedora 24 support. The left hand sales team of Parallels needs to check with the right hand of Support. Pissed!

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I too am doing a stepwise upgrade from 22, but only because I had an existing vm file using it.
    Fedora 23 works by the way. Haven't gone to 24 just yet.

4. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

Reviving an old thread... any new or more recent info on this subject (Parallels 12 and Fedora 23/24)? I've also just updated to Parallels 12 (from 10), and still running Fedora 22 (which is working just fine under 12).

A question to OP (Mark): you mentioned that "Documentation for Desktop 12 (was hard to find too) says that Fedora 23 and 24 are supported". Where did you find this, online or somewhere else?

This support page (titled "Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac System Requirements") only mentions Fedora versions 19 to 22:
    kb.parallels.com/eu/123893

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

In the online User's Guide, under "Welcome to Parallels Desktop -> Other Operating Systems" and clicking on "other kinds of operating systems"
    It states: "Fedora Linux 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24"
    [I'd post the direct links but this site thinks it isn't English.]

6. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

7. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

I have now updated my Fedora 22, first to 23, then to 24, based on the instructions presented here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade

Everything went smoothly, except for one glitch: after the updates, X windowing failed to start (with "startx"). X log had error messages saying "no screens found" and "prlvideo load failed", so I decided to re-install Parallels Tools manually. After that, everything seems to be working just fine.

8. OlegK1

OlegK1 Junior Member

Oh, I've never tried and even wasn't thinking about it)