12.1 kills ram allocation >8gb for non PRO version?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacSpanner, Nov 11, 2016.

1. StephaneD1

StephaneD1 Bit poster

Hello everyone,
    Sorry for my English, I am French.
    As far as I am concerned (user satisfied for several years), after such a bad blow, "parallels Desktop 12" will be the last version that I buy.
    Now, it's goodbye "Parallels" and welcome "VMWare".

2. emiko

emiko Member

Actually 55% off right now - VMWare might be watching this thread ;)
    search with keywords (with quotation marks)
    "VMware Fusion 8.5 for Parallels - VMware Online Store"

I just compared the size of Paralles with VMWare.
    (The numbers are from diffrent years but should not be that far off from the cuurent value.)
    Paralles: Revenue US$ 100 million (2008)
    Number of employees 1000+ (as of Feb. 2015)

VMWare: Revenue US$6.035 billion (2014)
    Number of employees: 18,000 (December 31, 2014)

VMWare has 60 times more revenue and 18 times more emproyees than Paralles.
    Obviously Paralles needs a revenue boost, isn't it? ;)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  3. DougP

DougP Junior Member

Oh yes - thanks. I have installed a trial version and my VM is superfast now - must remember to pay whilst the 55% discount still applies. It seems faster than it was when I used it before it was crippled with version 12.1
    Once I did the Shutdown command mentioned earlier in the thread the conversion process took a few minutes and I was up and running :)

4. emiko

emiko Member

That was exactly my experience!
    When I compared those products about 3 years ago, Paralles was more advanced than VMWare.
    But it is not the case any more. VMWare is almost as good as - or even better than Paralles.

I missed out this 55% off but 40% off was already a big saving for me - since I was going to purchase 2 full Paralles licenses for our new MacBookPro.
    To my delight, single license VMWare let me install all three Macs in our household.
    That was a saving over 200 Euro of hard earned money!

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The big difference between these two companies is that for VMW the Mac doesn't represent a considerable portion of their sales, so they might lose interest in developing Fusion further if they need to restructure their company or the sales aren't up to expectations.

6. StephaneD1

StephaneD1 Bit poster

I prefer this (with the risk that this includes you) rather than paying for an annual subscription.
    The system of subscriptions is for the gogos, if I pay, I hold ABSOLUTELY to be the owner.

7. tornado267

tornado267 Bit poster

I'm in agreement with all comments about the ram and cpu restrictions, I would have stayed with ver 11 if I had realised the restrictions that are imposed by v. 12. Not sure how much longer it will take to stack numerous astronomy photos in deep sky stacker, but reducing cpu and memory is certainly going to make a difference. Not updated my laptops yet, so will go to VM Fusion, unfortunately my previous version was Fusion 3, so doesn't count for upgrade. Been on Parallels for a long time now but this has pushed me over the edge.

beta_marco likes this.
  8. beta_marco

beta_marco Bit poster

I'm a parallèles user since version 2.5. I always updated at each major release. Version 12 wasn't very interesting and luckily I kept off from it. It's ridiculous: If I'd upgrade all my virtual machines would stop working, unless I pay so much more.

By by Parallels!

9. DougP

DougP Junior Member

As opposed to Parallels who decide to mislead and badly treat their existing customer base who do make up the bulk of their profits! I would have thought that for exactly this reason Parallels would think more carefully before doing the things described in this thread.
    I used to work for a company who had many tens of thousands of virtualised servers using VMWare - they always seemed a good company to work with and had robust products. True they could lose interest in Fusion for the Mac in the future but Parallels are acting very badly right now. I know who I have more confidence in supporting me in the future.

emiko likes this.
  10. DougP

DougP Junior Member

Moving from Parallels does count as an upgrade. For the next couple of days you get 55% off.

tornado267 likes this.
  11. emiko

emiko Member

Fine with me.
    If that ever happens, I simply switch over to Linux.
    Fusion created VMs run without any modification in VMWare Workstation Player (free for personal use) on Linux.
    Fully loaded MacPro makes a powerful Linux machine ;)

12. emiko

emiko Member

They managed to kill the goose that lays the golden egg - they never learn.

NateH1 likes this.
  13. JoelB3

JoelB3 Bit poster

I am now a proud owner of a VMWare Fusion 8.5 license purchased at 55% off!
    In your face Parallels! You can put your 90% off the Pro version you offered to me you know where...

14. GregG2

GregG2 Bit poster

I upgraded from v11 to v12 from v10 from v9 and so on...

All good and now a patch was deployed to V12.1.1 and it is telling me that my VM definitions are no longer valid because they have 8 CPU's defined and I need to upgrade to the Pro version for another $50. What gives? You can't downgrade the capacity with an "upgrade" I paid for!. This either needs to be fixed or I need a free code for the Pro version or instructions on downgrading to V11.

VERY unhappy!!!!!!!

15. medbahn

medbahn Bit poster

Also mad ! :mad::mad::mad: only 8 gig of ram !

16. Peter14

Peter14 Bit poster

Same issue. Pretty rude approach imo :(

17. Peter14

Peter14 Bit poster

I am certainly concerned. My vm just stopped working :( because of this. I tried to find how to send you this private message but to be honest, I could not figure that out. So, please, let me know what you mean with "reviewing use case and licensing information"
    Tx
    Peter

18. WRL

WRL Bit poster

Andrew: I could not find a way to send a private message to you. I am also having a problem with this reduction of CPU's and RAM in the standard Parallels Desktop program after the update. I run AutoCAD and other high system usage programs and am not interested in upgrading to the Pro program. Let me know what can be done for me. I just upgraded to Ver 12 recently. Thanks

19. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

Thanks for the tip, DougP! Just bought a crossgrade license: I've been a Parallels customer ever since v4.0, but their latest stunt was too much. It was not just arrogance and bad behavior, it was pure evil.

20. JE1970

JE1970 Bit poster

@ Emiko - Thx for the hints ;-)