12.1 kills ram allocation >8gb for non PRO version?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacSpanner, Nov 11, 2016.

1. emiko

emiko Member

I just removed the Paralles fro my dock.
    It has been there for last three years. The same spot is now occupied by VMWare Fusion.
    Those of you who are considering moving to VMWare, you'd better hurry to grub the current 55% deep discount offer.
    35 Euro for a permanent personal license is a real steal!

2. JE1970

JE1970 Bit poster

The offer is pretty good ! just bought two licenses ...

3. emiko

emiko Member

If all Macs you want to install VMWare belong to you, you only need one license because VMWare license is issued to you, not a single Mac (like Paralles).
    I installed a single copy of VMWare on 1 MacPro and 2 MacBookPro - absolutely no problem.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  4. JE1970

JE1970 Bit poster

mmmh ... this I didn't know until now ! Even better ;)

5. emiko

emiko Member

Those of you who are using Safari would not be able to see the link for sending a private message.
    I tested on Chrome, FireFox and Safari. (Did not try Vivaldi, but I assume it is essentially same as Chrome).
    It seems no one @Paralles using the default Mac browser - shows how much they do not care.
    [Edited]
    The above issue has been reported to be be solved as of Nov. 27.
    At least Paralles seems to be reading this thread.
    [/Edited]

If you are not very keen on installing the other browser just to start the negotiation behind the closed door with Paralles,
    I will tell you what you will be offered.
    One year subscription for Pro version in exchange of cancellation of the current permanent Standard license.
    I cannot be bothered with such a nonesence, so I simply moved to VMWare Fusion, and I am very happy with it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  6. tornado267

tornado267 Bit poster

Fusion 8.5 only £27.88 for parallels upgrade, go get it

beta_marco likes this.
  7. DougP

DougP Junior Member

In hindsight we should have seen this coming.
    Firstly the incremental annual updates have fewer and fewer compelling new features - we are told we must upgrade Parallels so that it runs on the latest version of OS X. This turns out to be untrue.
    Secondly an annual subscription model is introduced. This is a sure sign that innovation has gone and new users can't be attracted by useful new features and people aren't upgrading annually anymore. I guess all of the innovative engineers have been fired, or had budgets cut, to save money and boost profits. Parallels are a victim of the success of their own software - it did what it said on the tin and people were happy with it so why upgrade and spend more money. Of course this is not good for Parallels profits.
    Then the really bizarre bit of taking features away from loyal users without notice, so that it no longer does what it says on the tin, as a way of forcing them to upgrade and spend more money. Then try to pretend that they are "Power users" and should pay more. Of course most are not power users as we have seen from this thread.
    I wonder what is next - maybe something in the code slug performance with macOS 10.13 so that people have to upgrade to get it working properly.

Fusion is working well for me - it is a little slower to start-up and close down Win 10 VMs but I can live with that. Fusion were way behind many years ago when I first bought Parallels but they have caught up well.

I guess the moral is that when a subscription model is introduced watch out! Microsoft did it with Office 365 but I got 5 x 1TB cloud storage so that is OK for me, Adobe did it with Lightroom and Photoshop but eventually the price came down and Adobe still come up with some interesting new features every few months (although I know that is a closer call) and then Parallels does it and takes features away!! Go figure...

8. Yvo

Yvo Bit poster

Yep,
    I found out that Windows10 runs much smoother under Fusion.
    And DirectX is amazingly fast.
    Thank you Parallels, without your little scam I would never have switched to Fusion!
    Perhaps your timing was a bit wrong.... Black Friday! :D

GregG2 and emiko like this.
  9. emiko

emiko Member

Excatly my feeling!
    Without this wrong move by Paralles, I would never re-visited VMWare which I copmared with Paralles 3 years ago.
    VMWare made much improvement over those years which I was completely unaware!
    Thanks Paralles to open my eyes to your powerful competitor ;)

GregG2 and BernardH like this.
  10. NateH1

NateH1 Bit poster

I am not interested in their upgrade to the pro license subscription at all... I am only interested in a refund for the upgrade I recently purchased.

11. DavidT10

DavidT10 Bit poster

Its funny really the annual cost of the pro licence is the same as office 365 - parallels is good but not that good. In any event its the principle more than the money. I too have just bought VM ware and will review it. As I use safari i cannot see the PM option so dont have the opportunity to even see what is being offered - Andrew perhaps you could respond to me.

I hope the magazines that recommend parellels will review in light of the change in functionality. I must have recommended this product to at least a dozen people, I suspect most of the people on this forum are of a similar ilk. Good luck with selling V13 when you launch it

12. BernardH

BernardH Junior Member

Just Jumped ship and "Upgraded" to VMWare FUSION.

Bye bye Parallels!

13. PhilippeL1

PhilippeL1 Bit poster

OK I finally move all my VMs to VMware fusion 8.5, with the nested solution and more than 8 GB of ram per VMs.
    Your attitudes are unacceptable with your customers.
    I used to use your softwares since the first version on macintosh intel computer.
    But now it's enough.

Bye bye too the robbers

emiko and BernardH like this.
  14. NateH1

NateH1 Bit poster

I also purchased VMware Fusion 8.5 because of all of this. If they were trying to run off clients, then they succeeded.

15. Shuo

Shuo Bit poster

Yeah. This really sucks. I just found it also.

Nowadays these companies are becoming so greedy they just want to squeeze out the last penny of their customers.

16. GregG2

GregG2 Bit poster

This just doesn't just suck, it borders on criminal... to pay for an upgrade that is actually a downgrade without warning and in fact wasn't that way until the patch for V12 they just released...

I expect a free copy that allows me to have what I had before or the means to go back to pre-patched.

17. Shuo

Shuo Bit poster

Couldn't agree more.

And they downgraded the maximum RAM to 8GB. I usually dont use more than 4 cores and more than 8 GB, but I want them to be there Because I Paid For!

This is really really unacceptable, I have been using parallels since 5.0 verion and paid every upgrade all the way to 12.0, and this is how they treat their customers.

What is next? 2 cores & 4GB ram limitation on 13.0? single core and 2GM on 14.0 and force you to pay "premium update" to get 4 cores and "ultimate update" to get what we used to had? this is beyond rip-off, this is rape.

18. DavidF9

DavidF9 Bit poster

I have No idea how to send a private message on this forum.
    Just upgraded to 12.1, and on restart got the " you can only use 8 mB message. Unfortunately my VM's are over this size, and suspended. So I can't change the memory allocation until the VM is stopped, and I can't start/ stop the VM with 12.1.

I can't afford to lose the VM - and I don't know how to go back to the previous version.
    I only use this occasionally to run some legacy software so I have no desire or need to keep updating it other then to match OS version changes.
    David

19. emiko

emiko Member

If you are using Safari, then you are out of luck. (see my previous posting #181)
    [Edited]
    The above issue has been reported to be be solved as of Nov. 27.
    At least Paralles seems to be reading this thread.
    [/Edited]

It seems to me, the only way to stop suspended VM is to kill the process, equivalent to the cold shutdown for the physical machine.
    Depends on what is running in the suspend mode, you might suffer corrupted data and/or VM - cautesy of GREED@PARALELLS

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  20. Nemensi

Nemensi Member