How to install/upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by RogueWarrior, Nov 24, 2016.

1. RogueWarrior

RogueWarrior Bit poster

Will somebody please post a correct procedure for upgrading (or fresh installation) to Ubuntu 16.04 from 14.04?
    All of the previous forum posts are pretty stale. I just upgraded to Parallels 12 and I'm stuck on the same damn problem that I had after previous attempts under an earlier version of Parallels. After the upgrade finishes and reboots, I get a message saying:
    /dev/sda1: recovering journal
    Followed by a massive list of these messages:
    /dev/sda1: clearing orphaned inode ##### (uid=0, gid=0, mode=0100644, size=######)
    Followed by:
    /dev/sda1: clean, ######/####### files, #######/######## blocksmode=0100664, size=####)

(The ####'s are arbitrary numbers that don't seem to change over time)

I've tried this three different times, the last of which was on a fresh VM of Ubuntu 14.04 on which I decided to skip installing Parallels Tools after reading other people having problems with.
    Please don't point me to another posting or Google reference unless it's a COMPLETE solution.

2. BrianH2

BrianH2 Bit poster

To upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04, try the following:
    1. Start the Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machine.
    2. Uninstall Parallels tools via the command line:
      Code:
      sudo /usr/lib/parallels-tools/install -r
    3. Shutdown the Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machine.
    4. Turn off 3D acceleration.
    5. Start the Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machine. The screen size will be limited to 800 x 600. While uncomfortable, it will be large enough to upgrade via the GUI.
    6. Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04.
    7. Reboot once the upgrade completes.
    8. Install Parallels tools.
    9. Shutdown the Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine.
    10. Turn on 3D acceleration.
    I posted the above upgrade procedure just a few weeks ago in two other threads regarding upgrading Ubuntu, so it is certainly not stale. The upgrade procedure has worked successfully in Parallels 12 for myself and others. I have tried to upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 in the past and received the same errors you mentioned. Hopefully the upgrade steps listed above cure your Ubuntu woes.