Installing Office on a Linked Clone?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Mallycat, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Mallycat

Mallycat Bit poster

I have Parallels 9 running a VM from my bootcamp. I just discovered linked clones and would like to see if it will meet my needs. The issue is that my Bootcamp is running Office 2013 (o365) and I need a separate VM that runs Office 2010 and a further separate partition that will run Office 2016. So here are my questions.
    1. Can I generally install new software on a linked clone, and will that new software ONLY be on the linked clone and not the source?
    2. Can I uninstall software on the linked clone (ie Office 2013) and then install Office 2010?

Thanks for any help

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

3. Mallycat

Mallycat Bit poster

Thanks Paul Chris, but this doesn't answer my questions. I know I can install Office on the linked clone. But will the new software only be on the linked clone and not the original VM? And Q2, if I uninstall software on the linked clone (ie Office 2013) what impact will this have in the original VM?

For clarity, here is what I want to do.
    1. I have Office 2013 (o365) on Bootcamp
    2. I want to create a linked clone to this in Parallels
    3. I then want to uninstall Office 2013 and install Office 2010 (boxed edition)
    4. I then want to create a second linked clone and upgrade Office 2013 to Office 2016 (o365).
    Will this work? What will happen to my Bootcamp software when I do this?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  4. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

To revive an old post here, I've been wondering the same thing - I'm interested in trying out VS2017.

What happens if I uninstall software and install new software in a linked clone? I get that it creates a snapshot and goes from there - is it like a fork of the parent VMs HDD??