parallels desktop crashing, no warning

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by stina, Aug 12, 2007.

1. stina

stina Bit poster

parallels desktop crashing, no warning - help, please?

version 3.
    it doesnt give any messages, just crashes and shuts down. i use it for playing poker in windows xp sp2. i have a mac book (bought 1 year ago), 1 gb ram. anyone knows why? i have already read a lot of threads, but couldnt find an answer to this.

some say that 1 gb isnt sufficient to run both operative systems, and yet others say it is alright. but for me, my comp is now very slow, and i cant find out why? playing poker shouldnt take up a lot of "power" from the computer, so i dont know why it is slow and crashes in the middle of it without any message or warning.

also, i have installed boot camp beta version from apple some months ago, and now i have installed parallels desktop version 3. i didnt uninstall boot camp beta from apple before i installed parallels desktop - is that a problem?

i would be very thankfull for help, since i feel very lost...
    thanks so much

regards, stina

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  2. stina

stina Bit poster

anyone - help please?

3. Robster

Robster Hunter

What version are you running?

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

how much free space on your hard disk?

Hugh W

5. stina

stina Bit poster

thank you so much for replying.

im running 3.0 4124

6. stina

stina Bit poster

about 16 gb. the windows partition is only 5 gb.

do you know if theres a problem in havig both boot camp beta from apple and parallels installed? because im using the windows partition that i created back when i installed boot camp beta from apple

7. Robster

Robster Hunter

Well personally you are an older release of 3.0 so first thing I would do would be to upgrade to the latest beta.

For me it is rock solid.

Then update your VM extensions and see how it works.

Robin

8. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member

I finally found the solution to Pokerstars crashing Parallels.

I bought VMware.

Sorry Parallels. This has been a problem with no fix for months. I used to talk you up to everyone, but you have finally lost my business.

9. stina

stina Bit poster

hi.

hey that sounds very interesting.. can u tell me more about this vwware? What does it do exactly, and whats it called? I searched their webside, but there were so many different products. So this means that you can play poker with no shutdown? And do you just uninstall parallels desktop and install this program instead? - Sorry, so many questions! ;-)

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

You would have to either go through a 'hack' to transport your VM or you would have to create a new VM.

While Parallels has it's glitches, from talking to people who work with virtualization at an enterprise level Parallels outpreforms fusion 'by far' in stability, reliability, and compatibility. Not to mention special effects (e.g. coherence) While it is not perfect, I'm working through an issue with the support team right now, it works very well, and my CPU usage without any 'tweaking' to my config file is 6% on my MBP with the new build.