Parallels Desktop 12, MacOS Sierra & Win10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HarryR2, Sep 21, 2016.

1. ignacios2

ignacios2 Bit poster

I need to reactivate my license Parallels 11. Mistakenly upgrade to Paralles 12 thinking it was free, because my license is the July 23, 2016, but it is not. At the moment I'm using the free version for 15 days for my work because I need to use programs that work only on Windows, but I see that I have no need to upgrade to Parallels 12 for upgrade my Mac to MacOS Sierra. Please tell me how to reuse my license without having to invest in this upgrade. Thank you

2. Hello ignacios2, please use this link to download Parallels Desktop 11 and activate it using your Parallels Desktop 11 key.

3. ignacios2

ignacios2 Bit poster

thanks a lot

4. You are welcome! Please write us back for further assistance and we will be happy to help!

5. RanjanK1

RanjanK1 Bit poster

I am running windows 10 on an iMac mid 2011 with parallel desktop 11 for mac since the last 5 months without any problem. I had a windows 7 initially which I upgraded to windows 10.

6. Hello RanjanK1, thanks for the information.
    Yes-you are right you can run Windows 10 with Parallels Desktop only if Parallels Desktop is compatible with your Mac machine.
    To know more about Parallels Desktop and Mac OS host compatibility please check this link.

7. DannyZ1

DannyZ1 Bit poster

Looks like Parallels Desktop indeed do listen to the community.
    For the 2 main issues that I've been having, (1) has been fixed. Thanks.
    However, with (2), still no luck.
    My current version is ParallelsDesktop-12.1.1-41491
    Parallels product team, under Options -> Full Screen, bring back "Use OS X Full Screen" option. So that for multi-screen users, we can have VM running in one screen, and drag and drop Mac windows over to a Parallels VM.
    Cheers,
    Dan

8. YinkaF

YinkaF Bit poster

Has the Laggyness been fixed also?

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 12 Update 12.1.1 (41491) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here: www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

10. DannyZ1

DannyZ1 Bit poster

Yes, laggy issue fixed.
    But, full screen mode still crippled. Can not overlay (by moving a Mac window from one monitor to another that is running Parallels VM) a Mac window on top of a Parallels Desktop VM. This was available in Parallels 11 and previous versions, not 12. This feature is very useful for multi monitor user.

11. DannyZ1

DannyZ1 Bit poster

Thanks for the info.
    Downloaded and installed the latest build (41491) as suggested above, Full Screen still crippled in build 12.1.1 41491. Please fix.
    For people needed this feature, don't upgrade to Parallels 12, unless someone has a work around?

12. soon-jai_khang

soon-jai_khang Bit poster

I will second it, do not upgrade to Desktop 12. My Windows 10 is immediately corrupted and crashed. I had to go back to the Version 11 which works fine with MacOS Sierra on a MacBook Pro Retina 15. ... I was a fool to upgrade to the Version 12. I thought they had enough time to sort out this type of problem with the Version 12.

13. PaulS19

PaulS19 Bit poster

I have a 27" iMac late 2011 with 16 GB RAM running MacOS Sierra. I tried running Windows 10 x64 under Parallels Desktop 12 Pro. My iMac booted and ran very very slow and froze often. I deleted Windows 10 and then Parallels Desktop 12 Pro. My iMac still booted and ran very slow. I spent three hours on the phone with an Apple advanced level technician. My iMac still runs slow. I setup Boot Camp and installed Windows 10. I downloaded and installed Parallels Desktop 11 and selected the option to use the existing operating system on Boot Camp. My iMac is running slow but I'm able to use one Windows program. The program uses very little resources.
    Is there a way to see if any of Parallels Desktop 12 Pro is still hanging around and then how can I get rid of it without damaging Parallels Desktop 11 or Windows 10?

14. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

I was running Parallels Desktop 12 on OSX (macOS) El Capitan w/o any lag issues. Just this weekend I figured I would upgrade as there have been some fixes to the OS etc. But I just noticed the screen drag lag is horrible in my Win10 VM under PD 12.1.1 (41491). So what ever was addressed in this build does not resolve the drag-lag issue in Full Screen. I even experience it on dual external Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200) monitors. I'm a developer who is primarily using Visual Studio during the day. You can see the lag outright when even moving your mouse over recent projects list in the VS start page. This is NOT acceptable by any means.

Again I find myself in this situation where I shot myself in the foot because I didn't think to look in the forms for issues - who would have even thought to look for lag issues at that?!

Now I do have a macOS update I need to restart to complete installation yet - I'll update this post if there is any change afterwards.

@PaulChris@Parallels - What could be causing this?! It is clearly a change in the way things are done in Sierra vs El Capitan - at least on my Mid 2014 MacBook Pro 15" laptop.

Update:
    I launched my Windows 10 VM after installing the 10.12.1 update and I still have the drag-lag/mouse lag/redraw lag issue. This seriously needs to be addressed!

Update 2:
    Odd, the seems to have fixed itself. Maybe this was related to macOS Sierra's background optimizing or something? In any case, I'm a happy camper, though I would prefer I knew why.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  15. TotalP

TotalP Bit poster

I am having a related issue with 12.1.1 (41491). My environment is Mid-2015 MacBook Pro 15 with two external Dell 22" monitors. One is connected directly to the MBP via the Mini-DP TB2 port and the second is connected via the Plugable Display Link product. I normally operate with the MBP closed. In Parallels 11 when I set the guest OS (Win 10 or Ubuntu 14.04, 15.10) to use full screen/use all displays with both displays I get what I expect: a desktop that is across the two monitors. From the Mac OS X point of view I have 2 Mac spaces and one VM space. All have two monitors of desktop.

I upgraded to 12.1.1 and now when I switch my guest OS (Ubuntu 14.04) to full screen I get the following: I now have four spaces according to the MBP. The regular two OS X spaces and two guest OS spaces. The first space has the left monitor active with the left half of the guest OS desktop and the right monitor black(although I can see the mouse pointer over the black), the second space has the left monitor black and the right monitor active with the other half of the guest OS desktop. Does anyone know why it appears that Parallels is splitting my guest OS into to Mac OS X spaces? It seems very strange. This never happened with Parallels 11. What changed and how do I get back to my two screen guest OS? I don't have "displays have separate spaces" item checked. The only change from my Parallels 11 setup is using Parallels 12. I did install the parallels tool--no help....

UPDATE - Dec 6th - After some more twiddling of settings I have found out what Parallels 12.1.1 seems to do different from the older versions. It is frustrating. It appears as though you MUST check the "Displays have separate Spaces" checkbox in the Mission Control System Preferences item. When you do this, apparently Parallels 12 will be "smart" and create a desktop that spans your two monitors as if they are a "left" and "right" (dependent on your arrangement) in separate Spaces. This is ok except it affects the base behavior of the Mac OS X monitors in that now they are separate Spaces as well and no longer the traditional extended desktop. I see how some might find this new behavior a help, but to me at this point it is confusing and not well described anywhere. It would be nice if we could have a choice. Hope that this helps others.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  16. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

I believe I encountered this some time ago in PD10 w/ WIndows - really odd scenario but it hasn't happened outside of that. When my Mac and/or VM starts acting "funky" like that, I un-maximimize the VM window and re-maximize it.

The other steps I've taken is disable, then re-enable the "Use all windows in full screen".

When I start to get odd behavior like this though, very rarely, I just shutdown the VM and reboot my Mac. I'm not sure if it's the Host or the VM, but given that rebooting the Mac resolves it and how rarely it happens I never bothered to report it.

17. AbhishekD1

AbhishekD1 Bit poster

I wish I read this before I went from Parallels 10 to Parallels 12. I just installed Windows 10 and the performance is pathetic. I have to wait 10 minutes for any window to show up. And then things go back to being stuck for the next 10. I have the latest update installed, but it is such a pain. Does anyone have any pointers on how to solve this? I have a MacBook Pro Retina, mid-2012 with 16 GB of RAM with 4 GB allocated to my VM. I think it is not a memory issue AFAIK. I do not have any external monitors connected. My problems are exactly as described on this thread, but still persist with the latest update.

18. Jeff7

Jeff7 Junior Member

Was this ever resolved? I don't want to upgrade to PD12 if these significant performance problems are still happening. I just upgraded to a late 2016 MacBook Pro and am having a hard enough time getting PD11 configured properly so that win10 runs reasonably.

19. TotalP

TotalP Bit poster

Thanks for the thoughts Micah - unfortunately I have tried all of them. I have even gone to connecting both monitors through the two mDP (TB2) ports on my MacBook Pro with no help. Anytime I am in "Full Screen" mode and select the "Use All Displays in Full Screen" Parallels splits the single desktop of the Guest OS to two spaces with the alternate monitors being active in the two spaces. It just seems that it can't have two displays in the same space in Full Screen mode.

20. MichaelS26

MichaelS26 Bit poster

Is anybody still having this issue even with the latest build (41491)??? I am working on a brand new 15" MacBook Pro Late 2016 with 16 GB RAM and 2.7 I7. I work connected to a Samsung 28" uHD 4K monitor vis HDMI. I am able to scroll OK in Word documents for example, but excel is horrific and borderline unusable. Scrolling through Outlook and Windows Explorer is also terrible. I try using the "Best for External displays" option as well as "Scaled" but the resolution is so small it makes the OS difficult to use.

I tried reinstalling parallel as well as Parallels tools.

This is a brand new install of Windows 10 with basically just Office installed.

I have 512 MB of Video Memory dedicated to VM, 4GB of RAM and 3 processors dedicated to VM.

Anybody have any suggestions? Really would appreciate the help. Most of what I do is in excel in large sheets so being able to scroll would be very helpful...