Parallels flashing screen fedora linux 25

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DaviS1, Nov 28, 2016.

1. DaviS1

DaviS1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I did a fresh install of Fedora linux 64. After install Parallels tools, the screen start to flashing, after a littler wait , the shell becomes usable.
    Someone experienced something like that?
    macOs Sierra
    Fedora Workstation 25
    Parallels Version 12.1.1 (41491)
    Thanks

2. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

Parallels is usually very slow to add support for new Linux distros, and Fedora 25 is very new (released only last week, I think). I'd be surprised to see it supported before version 13 (or even later).

EDIT: Fedora 25 also replaced the traditional X display server with Wayland, which probably means Parallels Tools need some development on Parallels side before it works.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  3. DaviS1

DaviS1 Bit poster

I see, thanks for your comments!
    I`ll downgrade to 24 and try again, util version 25 become supported.

Kind regards.

4. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

No problem. Fedora 24 should work just fine, I actually have one myself running in Parallels 12.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi All, Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac does support Fedora 24 officially. Glad to know that Fedora 24 is working fine in this version. Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help!

6. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

The page you linked to has a PDF User Guide, that clearly states Fedora 24 is supported. Officially.

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Thank you for sharing the information. We will update the knowledge base article soon. Thanks

8. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

The problem is, that different Parallels sources (release notes, user guides, forum replys) regularly contradict each other regarding Linux distro and version support. We, your users and customers, have no way to know for sure, which version is currently supported or not. We can not trust any piece of documentation in this matter.

(And thanks to the latest outrage around CPU and memory restrictions, this now seems to apply to other technical specifications as well.)

9. XUJ1

XUJ1 Bit poster

Actually, my newly created Fedora 25 Workstation vm had even worse issue. All 4 new Fedora 25 VMs I created simply failed to boot after installing Parallels Tools.

The installation of each of my 4 new Fedora 25 Workstation VMs were quite successful. And everything initially would seem work fine. However, after installing Parallels Tools, which has a half half chance to succeed (which shocked me considering the chance to succeed was as low as 50%), I rebooted my VMs as usual. But my Fedora VMs wouldn't boot now. Each vm I tried was stuck here. I've contacted Parallels Support and they confirmed the issue. They told me this even happened on their test machines...

Don't have any idea how long it would take before Fedora 25 is supported on Parallels Desktop...