12.1 kills ram allocation >8gb for non PRO version?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacSpanner, Nov 11, 2016.

1. emiko

emiko Member

The problem is that I no longer can trust Parallels as a company, and I am quite content with what I've got from VMWare Fusion.
    So, thanks but no thanks.
    I just keep my Paralles 12 license along with an installer for 12.04 (the last version without memory/CPU restriction).

2. NateH1

NateH1 Bit poster

I guess I will add this here... Parallels you did not list it on the comparison chart clearly as November 14th
    https://web.archive.org/web/20161114225242/http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/#anchor-compare

which I ordered before that date... in fact the change did not show up until November 21, 2016. That is deceptive business practices not to have this change listed in the comparison section until a later time after an update that disabled it's functioning.

Now I have sent a private message, with absolutely no response. If this isn't addressed soon, my next call is to my State's consumer protection agency and to file with the US FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection.

How about you address these things directly Andrew@Parallels

beta_marco likes this.
  3. beta_marco

beta_marco Bit poster

This is defiantly a scam! As NateH1 posted such wasn't advertised till 21/11/16.
    Nice company suicide... just look here how many customers are running away!

NateH1 likes this.
  4. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

I've just tried VMWare (haven't tried it for years).. It is actually very good.....

NateH1 and beta_marco like this.
  5. JeffB10

JeffB10 Bit poster

I'm short on cash this month, so I'll stick it out on the last minor version that worked but when the next major upgrade rolls around I'm done.

6. PhilippeL1

PhilippeL1 Bit poster

Hi, I'm impressed by VMware Fusion 8.5.
    The memory management is much better, everything is better. Everytime, i've made an update under windows, it was impossible to use two vms together. Actually I'm using windows 10 + ESXI with ubuntu inside as vm inside a vm (nested solution).
    The nested solution of vmware is much better (than parallels desktop, I had to use two network cards), actually everything is working on only one ethernet card.
    Sometimes my wifi connection was dropping down, without any solution.
    After deleting entirely PD, everything is working better.
    The only problem was to find another key to activate windows again.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    emiko likes this.
  7. NateH1

NateH1 Bit poster

I will say thank you to Parallels for processing my refund. Good luck to everyone else here in dealing with this.

beta_marco likes this.
  8. WiseHacker

WiseHacker Bit poster

When I went to Mac in around 2013, I did start with Bootcamp. But later I learned of Parallels and found it back then to be a fantastic product.

While some feature removals I could still with without, this undisclosed restriction has made the product unviable for me.

Besides some cases when my VMs would crash giving them mouse and keyboard input, I actually think I will migrate to Fusion 8.5 in the new year. I took them up on their discount and besides the bug I mentioned all is good.

Really sad to see Parallels end like this that is life. Maybe they will learn and customers (including myself) my revisit and try the product once again. But for now, the sub-par management of this update has put me completely off.

9. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

Wow 30,000 + views on this thread already.... After years of buying Parallels each year I'm also now out - won't be buying Parallels again....

10. BarryR

BarryR Junior Member

Yep...seems the majority opinion here. I don't think Parallels Management grasps the ramifications... Not only are long-time, loyal customers dropping them en-mass for VM Fusion, but those same loyal customers are now going to recommend VM Fusion instead of Parallels to their colleagues...which I'm certain is the primary "word-of-mouth" method of driving Parallels sales. (I can't even count the number of sales "recommendations" I've made for Parallels since v4.0).

I don't see how any honest comparison review of Parallels versus VM Fusion can recommend Parallels at all at this point. They have positioned themselves to be completely uncompetitive. That whole point (uncompetitive) has nothing whatsoever to do with the completely unethical practice inflicted by the 12.1 update on long-time, loyal customers. Why in the WORLD would any new user select Parallels over VM Fusion at this point? Just sayin'.... If I were a Parallels employee, I know I'd be aggressively looking for a new gig... Parallels is going to get slammed in the next tech review round.

HeikkiL, emiko and BernardH like this.
  11. DougP

DougP Junior Member

As well as the outrageous behaviour documented in this thread I notice that Parallels has also tightened up on their licensing verification (e.g. stoping people installing Parallels on their desktop and laptop with one licence). I guess either money is tight or they are looking at optimising their balance sheet prior to floating the company or being acquired.

12. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is nothing new. This has been their policy for quite some time, at least since version 9 (?) I think.

13. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi,
    Every company makes mistakes.
    The problem with making a mistake for Parallels, is that they have only 1 product and a relative small amount of customers.
    So this may well be a decision with terrible consequences for Parallels...
    Let's wait and see.
    Regards.

14. ScottM4

ScottM4 Bit poster

Upgraded to 12 using the Parallels Black Friday promo, low and behold found my RAM limitation after the pokey start-up.
    Got onto the forum here and saw I wasn't imagining the BS bait and switch they did to this long time user.
    Called support and after some arguing got my monies refunded and reverted back to an earlier version.
    Tried VM Fusion a number of years back, believe I shall revisit that software.

15. T.D.K.M

T.D.K.M Bit poster

Given all the frustration over this under handed way of crippling businesses and reducing productivity, the least that could be do would be to make the above gesture straightforward. How can a company advertise one thing and then change the software's advertised ability to something less?

16. BlakeA1

BlakeA1 Bit poster

Just adding my voice to this thread so that parallels knows they lost this >5 year customer (that upgraded every year). Why would any company add a limitation to an upgrade?! Absurdity.

17. ChristianG1

ChristianG1 Bit poster

It's bad enough that I need TWO subscriptions as a single user, b/c I have two Macs. I paid for an upgrade, and I find I've been DOWNGRADED!!! Now I can't have more than 8 GB of RAM in a VM unless I upgrade AGAIN, at a cost of $65 a MONTH, which you claim is HALF PRICE!!!

And you have NO SUPPORT except a forum? What in the hell is wrong with you people? If this isn't a mistake, if I need to give you the cost of a computer, every year, to run Windows in a dev environment (W10 won't run on 8 GB of RAM), then I want a refund on my recent purchase and you can expect me to dedicate significant time to telling the world how utterly criminal your pricing structure is....

18. ChristianG1

ChristianG1 Bit poster

Oh, I see. Your website is broken. When I set the month on my credit card, it set the quantity I was buying instead. Either way, a subscription model that forces me to pay $125 a year is obscene. You are the most user hostile company I've had to deal with. My next PC will be a PC, just so I can get off your constantly inflating treadmill of increased cost.

19. JonathanL2

JonathanL2 Bit poster

I just wanted to add my name to this thread. I had a very frustrating online chat with Parallels, following which they have refunded my fee for the upgrade to v12, and I have now installed v11 - where do I go from here? MacBook has 16GB vRAM, at what stage will I no longer be able to use Parallels for my undemanding Windows applications? Next Mac OS upgrade?

20. JonathanL2

JonathanL2 Bit poster

How do you start a conversation with Andrew@Parallels - I have clicked on his name, and there is no option to start a conversation like he stated earlier in this thread?