PD12 Messes Up Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MobyR, Aug 20, 2016.

1. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

SonnyN1, this does not address the issue, in fact it is the cause of the issue I am referring to. There's currently no acceptable support for multiple monitors under PD12 (though PD11 works fine):
    • If you do not use separate spaces, then you can only have PD12 running on one display
    • If you do use separate spaces, when you switch between PD12 and other apps, only one of your displays changes, so you're left with PD12 running on some of your monitors but not others. This means that you have to manually switch spaces on each of your monitors separately each time you change between PD12 and other apps.
    The first approach is not acceptable because I need to use all my monitors to work effectively. The latter solution is not acceptable because I switch back and forth hundreds of times per day while working, and manually switching 3 spaces every time is frustrating and distracting.

2. StefanC1

StefanC1 Bit poster

Hi guys

I too have had this problem with PD12 since ever. There IS a workaround that you can use, thanks to a utility called TotalSpaces2.
    1- Enable 'Displays have separate spaces' (log out and back in)
    2- In TotalSpaces2, enable the option 'Sync grids', under 'layout', and enable 'swipe to change space' (i used 3 fingers), under 'transitions'

This way, the spaces switch in sync... for now this works for me. I am hoping that Parallels fix this nasty bug before my trial runs out.
    Note that this is still not a 100% solution, because now I have a menu bar on all of my displays... which is very annoying for me.

3. StefanC1

StefanC1 Bit poster

Today I just updated to the latest build, 12.1.0 (41489), and I report that this issue still persists on this build.

Additionally, now, if you are using a 4k display as your external monitor, and you are using a non-standard resolution (although still HiDPI), do note that you will lose the 'crispness' of text with this update... text appears a bit fuzzy compared to before, be it in Retina or External Monitor mode.

[EDIT] In addition to the above, since now build 41489 adds support for tabs, this takes over the Ctrl+Tab shortcut, and this is no longer sent to your VM, even if you create an override. If you disable tab support from Finder/Preferences, this still does not free up the shortcut.

Do note that this shortcut is essential to developers, like me, to switch between open files. This has seriously affected my workflow.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

We do attempt to address this situation, researching the best way to implement the functionality that was lost during the upgrade, but I cannot promise a quick fix or share any ETA, unfortunately. All that I can say, is that we are very sorry for this situation, but we depend on macOS too much and can't go against its rules..

5. StefanC1

StefanC1 Bit poster

Hi Dimitry, same as KorkyPlunger, I am a product developer.

Whilst I understand the complexities of this, what I do not understand is how you could have released a new version whilst very well knowing that there was this limitation, plus the unacceptable stating of 'this has been fixed in HotFix x', when it is clear by the number of people experiencing this that you would have been well aware of this issue when it was tested.

As it stands, I find myself in a predicament where the product which we chose to invest money in is regressed and we have no way of following progress other than hoping for a reply on this thread from time to time.

This is also not the only issue, I am forced to run my external monitor at full resolution via SwitchResX just so that I can use the view mode of 'scaled' without it looking horrible, because my full-specced MBP cannot handle either 'Best for Retina Display' or 'Best for External Displays' mode... at the cost of everything on my macOS needing a magnifying glass to be read.

KorkyPlunger likes this.
  6. JuanS2

JuanS2 Bit poster

Had to go back to PD 11

7. Hans-GunnarV

Hans-GunnarV Bit poster

To me, having separate spaces is a bless. This allows me to do compare things between macOS and Windows without having to switch back and forth with everything. iOS simulator for one. VMware has the other approach, and I can tell you I flat out hate it. So, preferences differ. ;)

That said, the Ctrl-Tab issue is a certain productivity hinder. I too am a developer and switching between tabs without fumbling for the mouse, is key to keeping my sanity when in flow. I notice that by simultaneously tapping shift I sometimes can cycle forward, but never back...

8. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

Problem is still occurring for me in PD 12.1.1 build 49491, contradicting a post from Parallels staff indicating that this issue was fixed in that build.

9. MattJ2

MattJ2 Member

This was an issue in Parallels 11 for sure at one point, and I think possibly even 10. 11 for sure though. And they fixed it.
    I honestly don't care if it's a "hack" as others have claimed. Figure out a way. They obviously aren't prioritizing this because it's been months with no ETA still.

I'm downgrading now. Hopefully that doesn't cause further problems. I guess I'll be reaching out asking for a refund as well.

10. MattJ2

MattJ2 Member

Well, I'll have to play with it more. Got full screen support back. BUT... it performs like total crap. VERY slow. Probably didn't downgrade the right way or something.

11. MattJ2

MattJ2 Member

Well now I can't even use my Windows VM. The networking is the issue and I don't know why. I've reinstalled Parallels tools and everything. It's ridiculous.

12. bvanderwkc

bvanderwkc Bit poster

Wow...just upgraded to 12, experienced this issue and then found this thread.
    Wow...this is bad.

The suggested workaround is not a workaround. Switching between Mac on two monitors and Wimdows on two monitors use to be a simple Ctrl+Arrow. Now I have to click on one screen, Ctrl-Arrow, and then click on the second screen, Ctrl-Arrow. Totally unusable.

Bruce

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  13. DanW6

DanW6 Bit poster

Having downgraded to Parallels 11, how do we initiate a refund due to non performance/unusability? Separate spaces doesn't cut it....
    \

14. Developer1

Developer1 Bit poster

Same problem here. PD11 full screen with 2 monitors on Mac Pro laptop worked fine in full-screen. Now totally broken in PD12 with ctrl-arrow. It's like having 4 screens, two of which are black. Clearly not tested before release. This broken functionality has existed for months now - NOT ACCEPTABLE.

15. DaniloF1

DaniloF1 Bit poster

Same problem here since Aug/2016...
    I downgraded to PD11 in september... now, 4 months later this fu**** problem continue.

Parallels, please, refund my two licenses I have bought.
    I've done with it. Downgrading again.

16. MobyR

MobyR Bit poster

I am the original poster in this thread.
    As we now reach the last day of 2016 without any sign of resolution of this fundamental issue, all I can say is that I have spent quite a bit of time in the last few weeks looking at migrating fully to windows and ditching the mac os next year.
    The combination of relying on a VM for work and Apple's current lack of interest in the future of Macs leaves me no choice.
    I'll stress again that in my opinion you need at least two monitors to do a lot of work tasks (certainly in my line of work) and Parallels lack of urgency to fix this has left a big distaste in my mouth. I now completely regret my decision to adopt the annual subscription model Parallels gave us

17. DexterH

DexterH Bit poster

MobyR,

Thank you. I'm having the same issue. I rolled back to PD11 a few months ago after upgrading due to this issue. I waited until today to upgrade again...hoping it would be resolved based on some of the release notes. Unfortunately, the issue still persists. I've even tried following KB article #123234 to only start my Windows VM in full screen on the second screen but the steps don't even work like stated. And if you do run PD12 on a second monitor in full screen without "separate spaces" enabled then the first screen goes black, making it unusable for MacOS functions.

It's very frustrating and I'm hoping as well that they fix this issue asap.

18. CharlesR3

CharlesR3 Junior Member

CharlesR
    Just spent 2 days building my new MacBook Pro Touch, after 10 years of migrating the OS, the only thing that does not work as expected is PD12, I have exactly the same problem, black screens when using 2 monitors, now going to install PD11 and hopefully that will work. I have used Parallels since version 4, this is the biggest cock-up on any version, going to ask for a refund if there is no fix in sight.
    If you find this thread before installing... DO NOT BUY THIS VERSION/UPGRADE IF YOU RUN MULTIPLE MONITORS.

19. GrahamE

GrahamE Bit poster

Parallels 12 does not work in full screen mode on 2 monitors. As far as I am concerned this is unacceptable as I need 2 monitors when in Windows. I shall not be paying for an upgrade to the next version and I might as well delete parallels altogether why pay for something that does not work...

To reliterate what Charles said above ----> DO NOT BUY THIS VERSION/UPGRADE IF YOU RUN MULTIPLE MONITORS.

20. AndersT2

AndersT2 Bit poster

I totally agree, DO NOT USE this version with multiple monitors.
    PD 11 still works fine.
    When PD 12 arrived I payed for the Pro version to get future upgrades, but now I think PD 11 will be my last version...