Parrallels 12 using up significant resources

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Alexander8, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Alexander8

Alexander8 Bit poster

I just installed Parrallels 12, Windows 10 and Office 360 in the VM. A significant portion of all of my resources in the VM are being used as you can see. Also, the CPU usage fluctuates drastically when I'm idle in the VM, but as soon as I start doing something, it shoots up and stays roughly between 50% & 75%

The whole reason I got this, was to work with excel, as I have some pretty vba intensive spreadsheets that I need to work with, but there's no way I could work with it like this. I have a 2015 Macbook Pro 15" with 16gb, so I feel like I should be able to work on some excel spreadsheets at the bare minimum.

I read somewhere to uninstall Windows, but it's an OEM, so I'm afraid if I uninstall it I won't be able to re-install it. Any suggestions on making this run faster would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Hi what version of Windows 10 are you running because those processes AppModel and WSappx using a lot of CPU suggest issues from a very early version/build of W10. If you right click the start button select 'run' and type winver this will provide your build and version.
    Regards
    kevin

3. Thank you for sharing this!

4. Also I've found this thread, and several methods for the issue resolution.

5. Alexander8

Alexander8 Bit poster

Sorry for the late response. The version is 1607 and the build is 14393.447. I have increased the processors used to 3 and the ram to 4.5 and it seems to be working well on both OS (Mac and Windows). However, from most of what I have read, it seems like this shouldn't be necessary.

6. Alexander8

Alexander8 Bit poster

So I updated my system to build 14393.479 and CPU usage seems to stable. However, RAM is still seems high (22-30% on idle). This may be normal, but I'm not sure.

7. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

build 14393.479 is the same s mine and the most current I think. What does your task manager show for the memory allocation across the different processes?

Kevin