USB Connectivity with Audio Interface

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ThomasD1, May 28, 2015.

1. ThomasD1

ThomasD1 Junior Member

When using an external audio interface (Komplete Audio 6 from NI) with Parallels, I ran into a strange problem.
    I am not sure if this is related to this interface, or if it is a general USB problem.

I connect the interface to the VM (Windows 8), and the data stream gets regularly interrupted and resumed.
    From the guest's perspective, the interface is not disconnected during that time.

I started to log all data coming through the USB port on the VM and, at regular intervals, there is NO flow at all, for about one second, then it resumes as if nothing ever happened.

Any idea what could cause this?

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Thomas,
    Please try re-installing Parallels Tools and check how it works, refer kb.parallels.com/4841
    If the issue persist, please help us with a Problem Report ID, so that we can check it for you. Refer this article to create a Problem Report ID, kb.parallels.com/9058

3. ThomasD1

ThomasD1 Junior Member

I know this is an old thread, but this is still not working, even with latest parallels and with a full reinstall of windows; the issue is with a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6; there is a constant audio / no audio / audio / no audio problem

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 12 Update 12.1.1 (41491) was released. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here: www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and make sure the virtual machine is in shut down state.
    Open virtual machine configuration.
    Switch to Hardware tab > Mouse & Keyboard > set Mouse to Optimize for games.
    In Hardware tab switch to Boot Order > extend Advanced settings > in Boot flags box paste the following flag:
    devices.usb.mouse=0
    Please let us know how it works.

5. JamesF20

JamesF20 Bit poster

Four major versions later (16.1.2) and it is still occurring as described by the OP.
    I followed the above recommendations, but it had no effect other than to cause the mouse to be constrained to the Windows pane unless pressing control-option (Ctrl/Alt).
    The USB device is listed in the Parallels USB device list and has been added to the Parallels USB Connection Preferences, to connect the device to Windows 10, not the Mac. Nonetheless, the periodic disconnect, approx. 7 seconds, still occurs. This is catastrophic for audio recording.

6. JamesF20

JamesF20 Bit poster

On the off-chance that someone stumbles across this, more specific information may be helpful.
    The USB audio device I was attempting to use was a Tascam US-144MkII which utilizes USB 2.0. When I substituted a more modern device, a Focusrite Scarlett i818, there were no problems. It would appear that this problem is device specific and possibly old device-specific.

7. TomB25

TomB25 Bit poster

Hi James,
    Thanks for posting your update.
    I'm curious to find out more about how your system is working. I'm trying to use a wireless microphone headset via a digital audio interface. I've tried two, (Link Digital and Personas): Windows recognises the device but does not receive audio data. Do you think it would make any difference if I bought a Focusrite? The process of trial and error in search for something that works could continue forever.