Mac Application icons

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WardG, Nov 27, 2015.

1. WardG

WardG Bit poster

Hi,
    I noticed that new apps from my Mac have a black icon, instead of their regular icon, on the Windows 10 Guest OS.
    After noticing i turned the application sharing off and on again, and now all icons are black. o_O
    Is this a known issue/problem (didn't find a similar thread)?
    Any help is welcome :)
    Kind regards,
    Ward

Attached Files:

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Ward, The issue occurred because of Sharing tools corrupted. To fix the issue, please shut down Windows virtual machine and isolate it from Mac. Reinstall Parallels Tools and then enable "Isolate Mac from Windows option" and check how it works.

3. WardG

WardG Bit poster

Hi Paul,
    unfortunately that didn't solve it :/
    I even reinstalled the Parallels Tools twice.
    Might i have done anything wrong, or is there an other possible problem?
    Thanks in advance :)
    Kind regards,
    Ward

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Ward, Since we need to investigate deeper, please email us the issue description along with the screenshot to cs(at)parallels(.)com, so we can check it for you.

5. OlegA

OlegA Bit poster

Hello
    I have the same issue right after installing Parallels12. All my shared mac apps have black square icons (as on screenshot above)
    There were several updates to Parallels12 but no solution yet. Any ideas?

6. Hi, did you try to reinstall Parallels Tools?

7. OlegA

OlegA Bit poster

I have tried all the steps mentioned above with no success.

8. CraigR2

CraigR2 Junior Member

I am presuming this still hasnt been fixed? I have had to remove PDT 12 now and go back to using Office for Mac :(. Support team seemed to not want to accept that it could possibly be due to PDT 12 update.

9. RobertR17

RobertR17 Bit poster

I have not seen any resolution or further discussion on this issue. I'm currently running PD 13 for Mac Pro v13.2.0 (43213) and Windows 10 1709 (16299.64). The issue isn't the shortcuts, but the application (EXE) stub files Parallels creates.

From what I can tell, Parallels is not properly creating the Windows EXE files in %APPDATA%\Parallels\Shared Applications with the correct icon image. The icon embedded in the stub files are either blank, transparent or corrupt. I'm leaning towards transparent because when I use an icon extractor, the extracted image is intact but transparent. The icons are the proper size with 256x256, 48x48, 32x32 and 16x16. They're just transparent.

I originally saw this behavior on only domain connected Windows 10 VMs, but now I see it on the same machine that isn't connected to the domain. When I remove the computer from the domain, the icons are still black. I wonder if order of process has anything to so with this. On another Windows VM, I installed Parallels Tools before joining the domain and the icons are just fine. When the machine is added to the domain, the icons go black. When removed from the domain, the icons return to normal. Just an observation. I've also looked at security on the Windows VM, not luck there either.

Would really like to see a resolution to this issue!

10. HansF1

HansF1 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue where the icons for MacOS appear black throughout the Win10 environment.
    I can't find a solution to this anywhere. I've tried all the suggestions above without luck.