Can't backup or copy Windows 7-0.hdd

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by carlosrodzbotet, Dec 21, 2016.

1. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

I wanted to upgrade to Parallels 12 so I've been trying to backup my laptop with CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) and it'll backup everything except "Windows 7.pvm". So I clicked on SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS and I was able to manually copy everything to my portable drive except for the file "Windows7-0.hdd".

When I tried to manually copy this file, after copying 37.34GB of the 66.42GB file showing 24 minutes to go, it stopped and gave me this message :
    the Finder can't complete the operation because some data in the "Windows 7-0.hdd" cant be read or written. (Error Code -36)

Everything in Parallels 11 and everything on the Mac OS side are all working fine but I just can't get Parallels file to copy so I can have a backup.

1st question about this issue:
    How can I find out which part of the Windows 7-0.hdd file is bad so I can correct it and backup my files so I can upgrade to 12 and not have to stay on Parallels 11 and keep praying nothing goes bad and I lose all of my data?

2nd question about this issue:
    Where is my data? If it's on one of the other files that I can copy then can I just install Parallels 12 and copy those files to my new copy of Parallels?
    I have a new laptop that I just downloaded the trial version of Parallels 12 to it. Once that's done I want to buy Parallels 12 but I need to be able to move my old information to it before getting rid of my old laptop.
    Transfer Msg.png Error Msg.png Laptop files.png Portable Files.png

2. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Please follow the steps as per the KB article to fix read or write permission issue.

3. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

I changed everyone to READ & WRITE since I'm the only one who uses this laptop. It didn't however give me the option to change anything to "MAKE "ME" THE OWNER". I'm going to try to copy it now.

If it doesn't work I'll try the command line it mentions in the article but instead of :
    chmod -R 755 /Users/parallels/Documents/Parallels/Windows8.1.pvm

should I change it to :
    chmod -R 755 /Users/Shared/Windows 7.pvm

storage.png storage.png

4. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

So I got excited because it copied past the 37GB where it got the error last time
    Progress.png

but then at 40GB it did the same thing again and gave me the error code -36.
    Error.png

So now I'm going to try the chmod -R 755 /Users/Shared/Windows 7.pvm and let's see what happens.

5. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

So I tried chmod -R 755 /Users/Shared/Windows 7.pvm and got this

terminal.png
    Any other ideas please ?

6. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Since there are no more replies from the Parallels team and I have another laptop, I purchased and installed a new complete Parallels 12 and activated it. This way since I'm paying I can get free support service that I'm not getting for my current questions and hopefully now someone will help. If not I can always return version 12 and install VMWare if they can fix my problem.

Meanwhile does anyone know where the data is? If it's on one of the other files, can I just install Parallels 12 and copy those files to my new copy of Parallels?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  7. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Due to lack of technical support to correct my problem I ended up having to buy a new copy of Parallels 12 and did a new install. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE !! Since I bought it from one of Parallels distributors they wanted me to request a refund from them and buy it directly !!!! Time to take another look at VMWare Fusion for when it comes time to upgrade again in less than a year.

8. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

9. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

10. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

That link sent me to an article that is not what I'm experiencing. Disregard, support here usually is good but this time I'm sorry to say proved to be useless. I just bought a new copy of Parallels and installed it all over again. Extremely time consuming.