Cannot install / start windows 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NickR2, Dec 22, 2016.

1. NickR2

NickR2 Bit poster

Hi,
    I am new to all this. I have installed Parallels 12. I have Windows 10 on a USB stick. I am trying to install windows 10.
    I have run the wizard, and gone through the bit where is asks for the location, and selected USB. It then goes through the copying files, and loading them. Windows then seems to restart, but the window then just hangs. I have attached a screen shot.

I have not idea what to do now!!

Is it trying to load from the hard disk, and I need to direct it to the USB stick?

Help!!

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Attached Files:

2. NickR2

NickR2 Bit poster

Hi

I realised that I should add that:
    - I have had three attempts all of which have failed. I have ( I hope ) deleted the first two.
    - I am installing on a late 2012 Mac mini with an i5. When I started it had 4gb ram, but it was very slow. I wondered if that was the problem so I have upgraded to 16gb
    - I am installing the 64 bit version. Should I be installing the 32 bit version?

Thanks

Nick

3. Hi @NickR2 thank you for provided information.
    And could you please let s know which version of Parallels Desktop are you using?
    Also please make a screenshot of the Activity monitor while the Windows hangs.
    Thank you in advance.

4. NickR2

NickR2 Bit poster

Hi,

I am running Parallels 12

Please see attached a screenshot of the activity monitor

Can you advise if the installation copies Windows to the hard disk, or does it still run from the USB stick? I don't know if I can remove the USB stick with windows 10 on it, or do I need to leave it in (it is in at the moment as the installation does not seem to have completed)?

Thanks for your help

Nick

Attached Files:

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello NickR2,
    yes, Windows installation will be copied to the virtual hard disk. You can remove the USB if Windows 10 is installed and a user account is configured.

6. NickR2

NickR2 Bit poster

Hi. The problem is that I don't think that windows has completed the installation and I have not been asked anything about a user account.

How can I tell what stage the process has reached? Or better still, how do I get it to complete the installation so that I can actually use it?

Thanks

Nick

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi NickR2,
    If you have enabled Express Installation in Parallels Wizard then a default user account will be created. You can make sure Windows is working by opening Start Menu, Windows Explorer, and Windows apps.

8. NickR2

NickR2 Bit poster

Hi

I am basically no further forward.

On my desktop I have an icon that says windows 10
    If I click it, it opens parallels desktop, and I get a window that says "control centre"

This window has two parts to it
    - on the left a smaller section with the blue window
    - on the right it says windows 10, and there are 3 buttons. An on button, a settings button, and "install antivirus"

If I click on the settings button it says that I cannot change anything until the virtual machine has completed

If I click on the start button it opens another window which has the blue "square" in it and I just get the rotating dots and nothing happens - the same as in the screen shot in my first posting.

Can you please help? What am I supposed to do? Should I copy the contents of the USB stick to the hard disk and try again? Do you need more info from me?

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi NickR2,
    Remove the virtual machine which is already created. Refer to the article and download Windows 10 ISO (download normal ISO not any special editions or single language) using the link given in the article. Use the Windows 10 ISO downloaded to create a virtual machine.

10. DavidJ5

DavidJ5 Junior Member

Why are we given the option to use a USB stick from Microsoft if it doesn't work??

PaulM14 likes this.
  11. NickR2

NickR2 Bit poster

After downloading Windows 10 to the hard drive I have got it to install. Seems to be a good product, but I have not really used it in anger yet. It is a shame because I was on the verge of asking for my money back when I could not get it to install.

It does seem that there is a bug in the USB option. At the start of the process you can select USB and it seems to be ok but further through the process after windows re boots, parallels clearly cannot find the files that it needs. Presumably the file structure on the USB stick is different from the one that it is looking for.

I think that the wizard needs an option that when it cannot find the files it says cannot find files and asks the user to find them on the USB stick.

It would also be helpful if there was some guidance on the file structure required on the USB stick so that we could check it and correct it if necessary.

12. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Dear @NickR2
    Here is how you can install Windows 10 with Microsoft USB installation stick.
    Should you have any issues with the installation, keep us posted!

13. AtisS

AtisS Bit poster

Hi,
    I have a problem at the very beginning of the Windows installation.
    I am trying to install Windows 10 N in Latvian language and installation stops at the very beginning.
    Screenshot attached.
    The text says "No image available", although I am installing with .iso disk image Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 15.47.41.png
    Could the specific Windows version be the problem?

Atis Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 15.47.41.png

14. AtisS

AtisS Bit poster

Hi,

Solved the problem myself by downloading .iso image with English Windows.
    Now everything works.
    You can delete my comment.

Atis

15. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Thanks for your reply.
    Glad to hear that you have resolved the issue with ISO image downloaded.
    Please feel free to reach us anytime for support.

16. GUNASEKARANV

GUNASEKARANV Bit poster