New Two-Factor Authentication

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by KevinW3, Jan 3, 2017.

1. KevinW3

KevinW3 Bit poster

I am really hating the new two-factor authentication! I have to wait for an email to come through everytime. Which means I need cellular signal to use Parallels Access.

Last time you did the picture-based captcha, it went away. I hope this goes away too. The whole point to my using Parallels Access is to not leave a trace as to what I am doing--taking caring of things on my remote computer. Forcing my to log in to email on a computer that is not mine is completely defeated the purpose of your product.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi KevinW3, it's not a two-factor authentication. It's just to trust the remote device that you want to access your computer. Existing users who use a new mobile device or a new Web browser to connect to a remote computer need to confirm the device or browser is trusted. This means that all the new devices and web browsers that one uses for connecting to a remote computer must be confirmed as trusted. No confirmation is required for all devices registered by the moment of the release. Also, if there's a newly created account, the mobile device or the Web browser from which the account is created is assumed trusted by default.

3. KevinW3

KevinW3 Bit poster

It's absolutely two factor, because I can't access my computers unless I do it. Email address = second factor to prove it's me.
    More importantly, even in the same browser with no cache clearing, I have to do it every single day! It is extremely annoying.
    For privacy, I do not want to log in to my email in a web browser on the computer where I'm using parallels access to get to my home computers. Therefore, this new solution requires me to have a cell phone signal to use it, and data. This is extremely inconvenient. With the other problems Parallels Access has been having lately, I have been searching for another solution, I just haven't found one that works for me.

4. FrankM9

FrankM9 Bit poster

I agree with Kevin. I now have to do this authentication crap every time I log in at work and sometimes more than once per day! You need to provide an option for user to disable this authentication, especially with work networks when you cannot get your personal email w/o thru security. Otherwise I'll have to dump Parallels.

5. KevinW3

KevinW3 Bit poster

FrankM9 states it more plainly than I did. A lot of us use Parallels Access:
    • To get around firewalls (which also won't let us check our email to do authentication)
    • To avoid loading our email on computers we do not have control over
    Forcing us to have email access in order to use Parallels Access is self-defeating, paradoxical.

6. chris18

chris18 Bit poster

I agree! This feature is a backwards step! Make it go away, or optional! Or at least make it so you only have to do it once. I also have to do it every damn day/ Stupid.

7. KevinW3

KevinW3 Bit poster

It doesn't seem to use cookies. I have to do it if I restart just the browser.

8. RogerO1

RogerO1 Bit poster

Hello

This new function is a step back. Every day the same thing, i start on my Win10 pc the Chrome Browser log-in on my paralles account, then i must wait for the email and then i have access to my remote computer. I don't understand why i must do this every day on the same pc/browser.

Sorry but this funktion is not quick, it's not a good idea.

At the moment i begin to use TeamViewer for remote access, it's not so good like paralles access but it's quick to use.

Greeting

9. KevinW3

KevinW3 Bit poster

I evaluated lots of alternatives, but even with Parallels current performance problems (very slow keyboard input for me) I haven't found a better solution. AnyDesk seems to work great, but it crashed my Mac alot, their Mac development is behind Windows. Anyone else have any good alternatives?

10. CraigA4

CraigA4 Bit poster

Hello. If this feature is what is called the 'Browser credibility check,' I too wish to know how to disable it.

11. GaryC7

GaryC7 Bit poster

OMG I just had to do the browser e-mail dance AGAIN just to post this message. How can this be the same company that makes Parallels for Mac? First of all, I second everything you guys said especially the paradox comment.

(1) I have a PC at my home office
    (2) I use PA to do stuff on it when I'm away on the road -- GREAT BEAUTIFUL DESIGN, EASY SETUP, ETC.
    (3) I install some updates and reboot
    (4) Now I have to drive home and log my Windows (or MAC) PC in
    (5) Then I drive back to where I was working and access my PC back at home
    ARE YOU FOR FRICKEN REAL!?
    (6) Ok configure PC so no password required at home boots straight into OS. Not great but hey at least its my house. NO. "FOR SECURITY REASONS YOUR PC MUST HAVE A PASSWORD OR PARALLELS WON'T CONNECT"

So I have to have physical access to the PC I want to control, that PC must have a password on the OS or you won't allow me to control it, and I must now provide this password ALSO when I wish to remote control the PC that I just had physical access to and installed Parallels Access on and looged in so parallels could give me access after I've already authenticated to Parallels account, and confirmed my browser by logging into e-mail twice, once on each end.

Huh? In what scenario did you think this was a good plan? Even if I lived in a giant mansion and wanted to control the PC in my office from the kitchen I'd be pissed off about the running back and forth. Sitting next to each other I'm pissed off. FAIL.

Like the person said above, fine, have your meetings and lawyers and whatever, but put check boxes on the configuration so we can decide as grown adults if we wish to use this software the way you say is secure and reasonable.