Win 10 Screen Flickering

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AjayR, Jan 4, 2017.

1. AjayR

AjayR Junior Member

I am using Win10 VM on MacBook pro 2014, parallels desktop 12 for Mac pro edition version 12.1.1. Using "Best For Retina Display" view setting
    I noticed a distinctive screen flickering in many applications on Win10. Has anyone else noticed the same and what's the fix?

Many Thanks,
    Ajay

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi AjayR, screen flickering occurs due to the lack of video memory assigned to your virtual machine.
    You need to increase the virtual machine's video memory:
    1. Shut down the virtual machine.
    2. Open the virtual machine configuration > switch to the Hardware tab > select Graphics option in the left pane.
    3. In the right pane, increase the video memory to 768 MB.

3. AjayR

AjayR Junior Member

Hi Paul,
    I tried increasing Graphic Video Memory to 768MB as you have mentioned, but dont see much improvement. Is there any other option I can try?

4. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

1. Please reinstalling Parallels Tools:
    From Mac menu Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools(http://kb.parallels.com/112609)
    2. Try changing DirectX or 3D Acceleration:
    Shutdown Windows virtual machine, Configuration > Hardware > Video(Graphics) > Advance setting > DirectX(9,10,disabled) or 3D Acceleration disable(off).
    Keep us posted the above steps resolved the issue.

5. AjayR

AjayR Junior Member

Disabling DirectX has improved the flicker, now it's no longer noticeable. Thanks for the prompt response.
    Can you also tell me what's ideal memory and CPU setting for Win10? At the moment I have allocated 4 cores and 4GB memory and can see the VM slow down occasionally. Certainly not as responsive as my MAC, my host has 8GB memory in total.

6. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Glad to know that your Windows 10 flickering issue has been resolved. Please follow the steps as suggested in the article to improve your Windows Virtual Machine performance and keep us updated on your progress.