Black screen in multimonitor Full Screen after the upgrade to Parallels Desktop 12

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MattL2, Aug 24, 2016.

1. TimothyR2

TimothyR2 Bit poster

The update did not fix this issue. As already reported, full screen worked fine in the past versions. It seems inconceivable that we are this far into this build of 12 and this is still a known issue. Having been a user since Parallels 3, it would appear that the new business model over there has seriously handicapped the development process. I think it may be time for my business to search for an alternative solution.

2. AntelioA

AntelioA Bit poster

New update for Parallels. Version 12.1.0 (41489).
    Still a issue!

3. PhilipD1

PhilipD1 Bit poster

Are people still having this issue? I went back to 11

4. ITA2

ITA2 Bit poster

I am still having this issue. It has almost been 3 months. When will this be fixed?

5. PhilipD1

PhilipD1 Bit poster

I created a support ticket but really feel its a waste of time if they know of the problem and cant fix it. :(

Has anyone experienced PD11 freeze while doing tasks and cannot click anywhere. Only way to get out of it is reseting PD which is not good as work is lost and cannot be saved :(

6. AntelioA

AntelioA Bit poster

New update for Parallels. Version 12.1.1 (41491).
    Still a issue. This is a joke?

7. neilgreene

neilgreene Bit poster

Seeing as how this post was made in AUG, and it is almost DEC 25 here in a few weeks, I would also like to say THIS POST NAILED IT.
    My WINDOWS workflow has been messed up since upgrading to PD12. And as noted, every darn time I upgrade releases, something goes wrong with multi-display support. And for the past 4 months, I have been waiting for a FIX and still don't have one. Pretty soon, I will have to dump PD and go to Staples and buy myself a new flashy CYBER MONDAY Windows machine and a bunch of Ultra-Wide Desktops to fix my problem from PD on Mac OS X. Its that bad!

8. neilgreene

neilgreene Bit poster

Please let me know if we can downgrade. This is seriously ridiculous. Meanwhile, in the rest of the real WINDOWS world, I am watching too may YouTube videos with Ultra 4k monitors and 3, 4, 5, 6 monitor setups. I might have to go enjoy my Cyber Monday purchases for myself.

It was working SO GOOD TOO! I would click on my WindowsVM icon, and BOOM --- looked like I was on a Windows box with both screens running. I would just move my mouse below and the Apple bar would pop up and I would click on another APP, and BOOM ---- I would be transported to another desktop looking at both monitors with just my Apple Desktop and what ever app I had selected. Windows magically vanished. Now, its just all backwards.

9. MattL2

MattL2 Bit poster

10. neilgreene

neilgreene Bit poster

It is correct, the fix does work. Kinda. I do now get full screens on both my monitors. But now, when I click back on a Mac OS X app, I get 1/2 of my Windows desktop lagging around blocking my OS X apps. So, the fix, fixes nothing. This is clearly driving me CRAZY. My easy exiting workflow is going to end up needing me to go buy a wide screen monitor 4k monitor and some cheap ass PC and scrap Parallels.

Understanding and/or assuming the same problem exists with VMWare???? Can anyone comment on that? What is the experience with the latest VMWare?

11. ByronC1

ByronC1 Bit poster

FINALLY! Though the links supposedly being the explanation (and entirely mule-muffins, as it goes back to Lion, when most of us using Yosemite and Parallels 11 had no such problem), the 4 steps outlined in this knowledge-base article DO solve the problem:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/111936

12. CraigS4

CraigS4 Junior Member

Nah bro, that linked "fix" requires you to set "displays have separate spaces", which causes switching spaces (and isn't that what we're doing?) to be unsynchronized. I used to have 3-4 "mac" spaces, and then a "windows" space in PD11. if I'm in mac space 1, and I Swipe Swipe Swipe, in in the PC space, on all three monitors. SWEET!
    NOW, with setting the monitors to separate spaces, I have to focus monitor one, swipeswipeswipe, focus monitor two, swipeswipeswipe, focus monitor three, swipeswipeswipe. EVERY TIME I WANTED TO SWITCH SPACES.
    Parallels' half-baked workaround to get the displays to all show Windows at the same time is not a fix.

13. AntelioA

AntelioA Bit poster

This is the issue:
    upload_2017-1-10_14-30-44.png

I don't use displays as different workspaces:
    One monitor with Windows and anther with Mac isn't my preference.
    Mainly when the windows application i need to access i behind the display with Mac.
    I prefer to have a full workspace with Windows or Mac, no mixed.

With the Option "Displays have separate Space deactivated and VM with Full screen expand's to all displays, long time ago, both displays: up and down, have spaces in sync.
    Since more than two Parallels updates, this strange behavior is happening:
    Parallels sync each display with a black screen.

Thanks and Regards.

14. PhilipD1

PhilipD1 Bit poster

Hello <insert your name here>,

Thank you for your time and patience. Your request now is handled by Secondline Technical Support.

Up to 11th version, we have used our custom Full Screen mode in Parallels Desktop for Mac, which basically did not use system's native Full Screen, but instead, we were just showing a borderless window resized to full display size. It had its benefits, but in Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac we dropped support for non-native macOS Full Screen mode, as it caused a lot more issues while playing games, working in CAD software and in similar use cases.

Once Parallels Desktop for Mac switched to native macOS Full Screen mode, the behavior changed: now instead of the VM on external display a black screen appeared - and this is native macOS behavior. Try to enter Full Screen mode with TextEdit - you will get the same black screen. Why macOS disables the second display? God knows.. There are a lot of discussions on Internet about that:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3196329?start=0

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...-2-when-an-application-is-maximized-on-monito

To make two displays having separate spaces in macOS, Apple developed an option in System Preferences (thanks to them) - Displays have separate spaces. After enabling this option (don't forget to log in/out) you won't get this black screen anymore - the external display will have its own macOS space. If you'd like to have your VM on both displays - enable 'Use All Displays in Full Screen' option in VM 'View' menu (see http://kb.parallels.com/en/111936)

If this is not your issue, but you have multiple black spaces named with Parallels Desktop on one or several monitors - this is indeed an issue with our software, and we are already investigating that. I'm sorry for all this mess with the view modes, I hope you're gonna love other improvements we made in Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac.

At the moment we are open for any user suggestions and complaints regarding Full Screen changes to discuss with the appropriate department for possible future revision.

If you have any ideas to share, please let us know.

Also, you'd mentioned that you want a refund if there is no fix for this issue, let us know your decision regarding this matter since this is not the issue as described above.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

--

Parallels fail