MS Outlook 2016/2013 (Not Responding) Parallels 12.1

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TWR3MBA, Dec 31, 2016.

1. TWR3MBA

TWR3MBA Bit poster

I am running a new Macbook Pro with 16gig of memory (8gig dedicated to Windows) and Windows10. Initially, I installed Office 2013/Windows and started having intermittent Outlook 'not responding' errors. Any click within Outlook causes the freeze. I upgraded to Office 2016 and have the same issues.

I know it to be a Parallels/Network issue as when I put Office in 'Work offline' mode, the problem goes away (albeit working offline) and toggling back to 'work online' seems to clear up the issue for a while, until it inexplicable starts anew.

Reading the forums, it appears that others are having the same issue and that it started with possibly Parallels 11 & Office 2013. BTW, none of posted KB posts resolve the issue, nor does removing the installation and starting over.

I have been a Parallels/MS Office user since the first edition and am hoping that Parallels will come up with a fix as this is unusable in it's current state and will require switching to Fusion, if not resolved.

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

2. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

I have the same issues. It happened in Parallels 11 but not as often as now with Parallels 12 where it's always doing it. Reinstalling Outlook 2013 didn't change anything. I'm getting to the point where Outlook is the only program I need to run in Windows so even though I just bought Parallels 12 I might bite the bullet and try VMWare Fusion or just go back to Bootcamp.

3. RichardF4

RichardF4 Bit poster

I am also having the issues, I was using Parallels 11 and it worked fine for me. But then I bought a new mac so I upgraded Parallels and now Outlook starts fine but after a few minutes it won't switch emails and sometimes crashes. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions.

4. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Since you bought a new upgrade make sure you don't let the 30 day technical support pass. I got them to get into my laptop and try to fix it but the engineer couldn't get it done so now they've escalated it to another engineer. Waiting on them to contact me to see when they're going to do it.

5. ChrisD9

ChrisD9 Bit poster

I have been having this problem, in varying degrees (Win10 on Parallels 12 on MBP), but now after most recent Win10 update, the problem is ridiculous and preventing me from working. I had raised this as far back as September w/ Parallels. These are some of the recurring problems: (i) reading pane window is blank; (ii) when replying to message, cursor appears but I'm unable to type anything; (iii) reading pane continues to display the text of a message that I've already deleted, even after moving to a new message, and sometimes the attachments to new message appear above the reading pane displaying the deleted message. I have two add-ins that I've used for years without any problem.