Resolution problems

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AdrianB2, Jan 6, 2017.

1. AdrianB2

AdrianB2 Bit poster

Running PD12 Pro on a new 2016 MBP 15". Parallels is doing very dumb things with screen resolution. Native is 2880x1800, but if I set my Windows 10 vm to use "Scaled" graphics it does NOT scale down to 1440x900 - it wants to use 1680x1050, which makes everything just slightly too small. If I then force Windows to use 1440x900 the screen looks like hot garbage, as it's clearly being scaled twice and loosing a lot of detail. If I go back to MacOS and turn screen DPI down a notch there, scaling in Parallels works as expected (going directly to 1440x900) and looks OK, but my macos UI is bigger and more scaled than I want.

"Best for Retina" and "Best for external displays" have similar if not worse issues; they want to operate in 3360x2100 (higher than the screen actually supports) and my attempts to come up with some useful combo have failed.

2. AdrianB2

AdrianB2 Bit poster

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

3. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello Adrian, please follow the below steps and keep us posted on your progress:
    1. Reinstall Parallels tools as suggested in the article.
    2. Go to Virtual Machine configuration > Options tab > Full Screen > From the Scale to fit screen drop-down list choose Keep ratio.

4. AdrianB2

AdrianB2 Bit poster

1. Uninstalling/reinstalling Parallels Tools has changed nothing. A fresh new install of Windows 10 and Parallels Tools also has the same problem.

2. If I switch out of fullscreen, change the option you suggested to "Keep Ratio", and switch back to fullscreen, I can then go into display settings and choose 2880x1800 and the screen looks reasonable, but as soon as I switch out of fullscreen and back again the screen resolution gets reset to 2048x1536, which is not very useful. I also still cannot set the resolution to 1440x900 without Parallels Tools forcing me to use an absurd custom DPI. Switching the Graphics option to "Let Windows Manage DPI" lets me choose 1440x900 and a reasonable DPI, but again any switch out of fullscreen and back into fullscreen breaks everything. Also, when in "Let Windows Manage DPI" mode the mouse cursor is made unusably small for some reason. Again, this all happens with a brand new fresh install.

5. AdrianB2

AdrianB2 Bit poster

So, is this just broken, then? Should I give up and downgrade to Parallels 10?

6. AdrianB2

AdrianB2 Bit poster

7. AliJ

AliJ Member

I have the same problem. cannot get the system to work with windows 10 and windows detect the right resolutions. its does so many crazy things its not enevn funny. with external display its even worse. I hope they fix this stuff as its truelly a disaster.

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @AliJ,
    A new option was introduced in Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac to work with the virtual machine on multiple displays with Retina: Best for external displays.
    When this option is enabled, Windows manages resolution and DPI settings separately on every display. To enable this option"
    Open virtual machine configuration window > Hardware > Graphics.
    Set resolution setting to Best for external displays.
    NOTE: Windows will log off to apply the new settings (when running).

9. AliJ

AliJ Member

I have set the Graphics resolution setting to Best for external display and its extreamly frustrating as its is so buggy.
    - The Screen resolutions are not detected properly, especially if you use extend display options. when i go to full screen it changes my mac display to 1024x768 by default anbd i have to mannually change it to 2880x1800 every time i start windows. My external monitor resolution which is 3840x2160 gets set to 3360x1890 every time i boot for unkown reason and i have to manually change it to 3840x2160. Windows shows 2880x1800 as the (recommended) resolution for my external monitor with is not correct, so it looks like its mixing up which monitor is which. Windows does not show any (recommended) resolution for my mac display with is quite strainge and it shows resolutions that are not even supported by my Mac display!
    - As I move the mouse from from one screen to another the edges of the screen are not properly alligned. Say for example my Mac is 2880x1800 and my external moitor is 3840x2160 and i have aligned the top of the displays in the display setting. My mouse is say at the bottom corner of the Mac and i move slowly to the external display, you would think you woudl see the mouse appear on the external display aproximiat 20% from the bottom, but instead it comes in half way on the screen!

This whole new so called feature is very buggy and its also caused bugs in the old settings... I wish someone would be looking at this more. i have like 10 other similar bugs and have posted many of them like mouse drags of windows moving whole screens, etc..

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @AliJ, you may switch between graphic cards available on your Mac by following the instructions:
    1. Launch the System Preferences app on your Mac and open the Energy Saver preference pane.
    2.Locate the Automatic Graphics Switching checkbox at the top of the preferences pan you see and add a check mark to toggle it on, or remove the check mark to toggle it off.
    Note: The changes are going to take effect immediately after you make your choice. You don't need to restart your computer.

11. AliJ

AliJ Member

the check box was OFF already. i tried trun it on and it made no difference. I upgraded to Version 12.2.0 (41591) and install tools again and its even worse now :(. now i can even select my 3840x2160 native resolution for my external monitor in windows. It mixes up my external monitor with my mac sceen and thinks the max res shoudl be 2880x1800. I even tried recreating VM from scratch with same HD and same results. PLEASE HELP.