Do I need to install virus protection?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Pastle, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastle

Pastle Junior Member

I am running win xp in parallels. I do not go online when in windows and always shut windows down before going back to mac. Do I need virus protection in windows? Do I need it in mac?

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

hi,
    in your guest Windows you can install Kaspersky antivirus shipped with PD 3.0 (just push Actions->Install Kaspersky...) to avoid unnecessary purchases. On Mac you can install antivirus in view of other use cases (to improve your host system protection and etc.) - not around PD using on your Mac. OSes running with PD and processes working there couldn't to operate your host system file systems and other system resources.

3. Pastle

Pastle Junior Member

Thanks but I am not sure what you are trying to tell me. I know nothing about macs. This is my first. I think it is going to be a lot harder than I thought. Ran windows for 20 yrs and always wanted to try mac. Maybe I should have stuck to windows but I have made a big purchase with this iMac.

4. sandro

ok, i understand
    i just want to tell you that you can install on Windows antivirus that provides with Parallels Desktop. It's better to do this to avoid possible issues
    on Mac antivirus installation isn't required because there are very few known viruses that can attack it.

5. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

That is technically true. However, a Mac user can still act as a virus "carrier". By that I mean: if a Windows user emails you (the Mac user) an infected file attachment and you forward that attachment on to another Windows user, you have spread the virus even though you didn't "catch" it yourself or even know you had it.

For that reason I use antivirus software in my Mac OS so I can intercept such viruses and avoid spreading them to Windows users.

6. Pastle

Pastle Junior Member

How do I install kaspersky now that I have already installed parallels? Can I add it now or is it too late?

7. sandro

1. Start Parallels Desktop
    2. Startup your Win XP and logon into it
    3. Specify Install Kaspersky... from Actions PD menu group

8. Pastle

Pastle Junior Member

That would be okay if I could find Actions PD menu group. This is too confusing for me.

9. sandro

it's presents in the main system menu (top of the screen) when Parallels Desktop running

10. Pastle

Pastle Junior Member

Thank you so much. I feel so dumb. I installed kaspersky and there was something wrong with the install so I downloaded AVG instead.

11. sandro

:) You are welcome. Mac OS X user interface may seem strange at first but i think you'll enjoy with it further

12. LinkRS

LinkRS Member

Hi,

I feel your pain! I too am a new Mac user, and have felt dumb more times than I can count. Fortunatly mot Mac users are friendly, and are happy to help us old Windows users. Good luck!!

13. Victor

Victor Member

Anyone else getting a message that Kaspersky will expire in 12 days? Does it auto renew or do we have to buy it? I thought it was included in parrallels.

14. sandro

No i didn't receive such messages yet. How much time ago did you install Kaspersky? Maybe it'll surprized me soon ;)

15. Victor

Victor Member

When it first became part of Parallels.

16. JTLaud

JTLaud Junior Member

The Kaspersky bundled with Parallels includes only a 6-month license. The software should still continue to function, but you just can't update any more new virus definitions, which won't protect you from new viruses. You have to pay to to renew the license, and even then it's not an indefinite license. You have to keep paying the subscription license to get upgrades.

This is true of Norton/Symantec and maybe McAfee too. And unfortunately, many other companies are seriously looking into changing their marketing strategy to sell software not as a "product" anymore but as a "service" which you have to keep paying into (like your cable service or your phone bill).

If you can get a legal copy of Norton/Symantec Antivirus Corporate Client Edition, that's the best way to go. The company you work for or your school might offer them. They should be provided to you free and the LiveUpdate for virus definitions never expires.

Worse comes to worst, you can try AVG, a very good free antivirus software.

17. rubyred

rubyred Bit poster

Another new mac user

Unfortunately I'm another mac novice and trying to get my head around the whole mac/virus protection issue.

I need to have Windows XP on my mac to run one programme I need for work and will not be using it online. Can anyone confirm is there any evidence that my mac will be more exposed to viruses simply by having Windows XP on the hard drive (via Parallels) even when Windows isn't bing connected to the internet?

Thanks

18. sandro

hi,
    my opinion that you mustn't worry about viruses if you won't using Windows with online Internet connection from it and you trust to all soft that you installing there.

19. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

My opinion is this, if you block off all internet access to your vm, and have some sort of scanner on your OS X side (ClamXAV as an example), you will probably be fine. Just be careful about files you load onto your CD.

20. David5000

David5000 Pro

As far as I know, the fact that you are running your VM on a Mac doesn't enter into the equation. The question is whether you would need AV protection for a physical PC that you are not using online--it's really the same thing.

Also, remember that you will need to have your VM access the Internet for Windows updates and perhaps for updating the Windows application you are running.

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.