Boot Camp from Parallels 11

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by graydog7, Jan 31, 2017.

1. graydog7

graydog7 Bit poster

I have a MacBook Pro with 2 x 256 Solid State Drives (SSD) one has MacOS Sierra the other Windows 10 installed and switched with BootCamp.

If I "Use Windows from Boot Camp" from Parallels 11 in the MacOS environment ( and SSD). does it make changes to the Windows10 SSD that would result in no longer being able to Boot Natively into Windows10 from that SSD?

I want to be able to use the Windows10 in Parallels on MacOS for light use but still have the option to boot to Windows10 outside of MacOS environment for Developing and graphic work where I want to use all the resources of the machine.

Anyone doing this?

2. Yes, if you make any changes on the VM or Bootcamp side it will appear on the other side.

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi graydog7,
    It should be noted that the Apple drivers and software do not reveal anywhere near the same level of customization as they do in OS X. To give you an idea of what I mean, you get lots more touchpad gestures under OS X than Windows 10. Also, battery life seems to be affected by the transition to Windows 10, as Microsoft's operating system and/or Apple's drivers are not well optimized for this scenario. Parallels lend itself to both users who need to have Windows 10 running alongside OS X, but also to those who just want access to Windows programs alongside OS X apps. The beauty of it is that switching between these two modes is done by simply entering or exiting Coherence mode, which is an option easily accessible from the virtual machine's menu bar. Normally, Bootcamp based Windows virtual machine files will be stored in the native BootCamp partition. So, the changes made in the virtual machine will get reflected on your BootCamp partition, it is just a mirror copy of your BootCamp Windows.

4. graydog7

graydog7 Bit poster

Thanks for that but the question is. Will the Windows installation still work independently after having been imported into Parallels or does Parallels alter the EFI partition or whatever that will result in it no longer booting outside of the Parallels environment?

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Yes, Windows installation still works independently after having been imported into Parallels Desktop. Please check out this article for more information.

6. graydog7

graydog7 Bit poster

Thanks Paul. Looked at that. Does that "clone" the bootcamp into the Mac (requiring an additional Windows licence?) Or actually use the bootcamp

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Microsoft should not require using a separate Windows license key for a virtual machine based on Boot Camp partition. If you come across activation issue in the virtual machine based on Boot Camp partition, please reboot Windows in Boot Camp and make sure Windows is activated.