Video Memory Error

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by drgoodtymes, Jul 31, 2007.

1. drgoodtymes

drgoodtymes Junior Member

After upgrading to the lastest version of Parallels, 4560, I am getting this error when starting my guest o/s. I am using a Mac Book Pro, 2.4 core II duo, 2 gigs of ram. I have 64 megs of video memory assigned to the Guest Os. windows, xp, Until the upgrade, I never had this problem. I have rebooted, repaired disk permissions, and still nothing.

The screen resolution in the guest OS cannot be set because it is low on video memory. The display may not be optimal. Please increase virtual machine video memory.To increase the amout of video memory, shutdown the vm, set new vm memory size.

I have set this to the max 64megs and still nothing.

Any ideas??

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Attached Files:

3. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

4. drgoodtymes

Hey Guys,

I tried both suggestions and I am still getting the same error when starting up Windows.

Any other thoughts?

5. drgoodtymes

Update, I have also reset my pram and tried the application, ifreemem

any thoughts?

6. ChrisC3po

ChrisC3po Bit poster

I've got the same problem. I've tried reinstalling several times. I think there was a problem with the initial setup for the windows side of this, but I can't figure out how to delete the parallels files on the windows drive...

7. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Maybe you can try reinstalling parallels tools.

8. ChrisC3po

ChrisC3po Bit poster

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything I can imagine several times. I've also tried repairing the disk image and permissions.

9. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Have you tried sending an e-mail to parallels?

10. ChrisC3po

ChrisC3po Bit poster

Nope, I can give that a try.

11. drgoodtymes

I have sent an email to Parallels. However I reinstalled Parallels tools and its working at the moment. I will see what happens

12. ChrisC3po

ChrisC3po Bit poster

Is there a way of just reinstalling the tools (for windows) and not the desktop? Everytime I reinstall I'm hoping the tools will reinstall, but they never do.

13. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Start vm and when windows is loaded, see in taskbar above "Action".

Select "Install Parallels Tools"

Greetings

14. ChrisC3po

ChrisC3po Bit poster

Well that worked, for a few minutes... Then Parallels crashed, which caused a hal.dll error when windows rebooted (this seems to be a problem with the current release). I managed to get back into windows and do a repair. Restarted Parallels and it was working fine for a minute and then crashed again causing the same problem.

15. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Maybe you should first uninstall tools. Restart windows and install tools again.

16. ChrisC3po

ChrisC3po Bit poster

Hmm...

Every time I reinstall the tools the problems start. By the way, it worked fine (at least in its basic state) when the tools weren't installed this time. But after installing the tools the system restarted, which it did successfully, took a long time loading, but before I even touched anything it crashed...

17. goodcopbadcop

goodcopbadcop Bit poster

Wrestled with this problem after the upgrade to 3. Uninstalling tools from XP cured the video problem, but obviously at a loss of functionality. Ultimately, I examined device manager in XP and discovered that the parallels video driver was disabled. I enabled the video driver and re-installed tools. It's been working fine since then.

18. jasonw

jasonw Member

I get this problem the first time I resume my VM for the day with Parallels #5160. This occured both yesterday and today. This did not happen with #5158 (or earlier). I don't seem to be able to reproduce it by closing Parallels and re-opening it.

As soon as I dismiss the dialog everything seems fine (no need to restart my VM). I have tried the default of 16MB yesterday and 32MB video this morning.

The worst part is while this dialog is open there is massive CPU usage which causes my MBP to heat up a lot. If it happens again tomorrow morning I may try downgrading to #5158 and see what happens.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  19. mdilling

mdilling Bit poster

I had this happen to me today. I just installed 5160 last night and everything seemed to be working correctly. However, this morning after running for a couple of hours the same dialog appeared and the MB fan was going full on. I restarted Parallels and everything seems to be fine currently. I did notice that the video memory allocation in Windows was at 8MB while the setting in Parallels was at 16MB. After the restart, both showed 16MB.

20. tsawicki

tsawicki Bit poster

I am getting the error message as well - however it doesn't seem to do anything - if I close the error box parallels works fine. I'm on a macbook 1.8ghz, 2gb ram with XP and build 5160.