Shared Networking grayed out in build 5160

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by brainray2000, Sep 13, 2007.

1. brainray2000

brainray2000 Bit poster

Hi,

since I updated to build 5160 yesterday shared networking is not available ony more. I already re-installed Prallels Tools twice - no avail. I even tried to create a new virtual machine using the disk image that I using all the time - the same here: when it comes to choose the type of networking for the new machine, Shared Networking and Host Only Networking are greyed out.

I havn't changed any of my network settings. What could be wrong? Do others have the same problem?

Many thanks in advance

Ray

2. brainray2000

brainray2000 Bit poster

Hi there,

the grayed out thing went away after changing the (Mac) user that I launched the image with. But in return it network just doesn't work.

Man, this is just one time too much of staning in the dark. I'll try out the competing product now...

3. jojo2267

jojo2267 Bit poster

Hi Ray,

same problem here.
    In "System Preferences" - "Network" -"Port Configuration" (i hope its correct, i'm using a German MacOSX) i deleted the Parallels NAT port. Then after reboot opend Network Preferences again and a new network port was found. After that Shared Networking" is not greyed out anymore.

cu Juergen

edit: I had to uninstall/install Parallels to get network working in windows.
    See also http://kb.parallels.com/entry/38/215/0/

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  4. LogicalVue

LogicalVue Junior Member

I had this problem too after installing 5160. It turns out I forgot to reboot after the install so the network driver in OS X wasn't recognized. I ended up uninstalling 5160, then I reinstalled it and then I rebooted.

It's fine now.

5. brainray2000

brainray2000 Bit poster

Thanks to all for your help.

Deleting the network ports din't do it though. I also had to delete everything from Parallels after uninstalling. Also, after that, the Windows network settings seemed to be screwed - I needed to use the backuped image that I made before updating to the new Parallels version - luckily I had a backup...

If this problem comes from not restarting after to upgrade, why doesn't the Parallels installer force to restart?

Cheers

Ray