Black Screen in macOS Guest OS

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by merlyn383, Jan 30, 2017.

1. merlyn383

merlyn383 Bit poster

I have a VM running macOS 10.12.2 in PD 12.1.2. The guest OS seems to boot normally (I see the  logo and the progress bar) but it soon goes to a black screen. However, I have an application that runs on boot and generates a notification which does display in the guest OS so it's not a total black hole.

This might have started about the time that I upgraded my host os to 10.12.3 but I wasn't paying enough attention. I only boot the VM once a week or so.

2. Hi, and did you receive any error during boot?

3. merlyn383

merlyn383 Bit poster

No error. During initial boot it shows the  logo and the progress bar underneath. Then black. But, as stated above, the notification "layer" (for lack of a better term) does work and I can see a notification that occurs in the guest OS after successful boot.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Thanks for sharing the information. Start your OS X virtual machine and go to Action (from Mac menu bar) and select Reset and then check how it works.

5. merlyn383

merlyn383 Bit poster

Interesting...
    The VM started up and went to it's black screen as it had before, then it logged the VM user out (auto login is enabled) and at the login screen everything worked. Once I logged the user in again it went back to black.

I have also successfully booted into single user mode and had everything work properly. This leads me to believe that it's a user preference error in the VM user.

6. merlyn383

merlyn383 Bit poster

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  7. Thanks for sharing this!