Does anyone else use Full Screen mode and Use All Displays, on a multi monitor system?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PMB_SD, Feb 23, 2017.

?

Does anyone use Full Screen mode and Use All Displays, on a multi monitor system?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I use Full Screen but only on single display at a time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PMB_SD

PMB_SD Junior Member

I have been using parallels in Full Screen with Use All Displays enabled for years on a mac with 3 monitors.

I use a multi touch trackpad to swipe between Mac and Windows with all displays switching at once, because I disable Apple's Displays have separate Spaces "feature". (why Apple thinks this is a good default setting is beyond me...)

Anyway, Parallels 12 doesn't work in full screen mode any more if you disable Displays have separate Spaces... doing so will give me 3 separate 'Spaces' each with only 1 of my windows displays and 2 black screens...

turning ON Displays have separate Spaces makes things just crazy when I want to go between systems... Swipe first display, move to second display and swipe, move to third and swipe... Time to go back to other system... Swipe first display, move to second display and swipe, move to third and swipe...
    ugh...

Oh, and then there is the thing where Parallels 12 with a VM that must lock by group policy makes use all displays flicker and go crazy and drop back to a single display... so even if I did use Apple's Displays have separate Spaces and get used to the 3 swipes to switch between systems, I STILL can't use P12 on more than 1 display without things just going nuts every time I walk away from my system for a few minutes.

needless to say, I'm staying on 11 for the foreseeable future, and regret paying for 12.

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

The 'reason' for this, is that when in full screen mode, Parallels now switches the Mac display to work in it's 'full screen' mode. This allows faster screen I/O.
    Historically 'full screen' was effectively a 'super window' filling the selected screen, but still running as a window. Advantage - much more friendly to use. Disadvantage - slower.
    I've been suggesting since this began, that Parallels ought to offer the _option_ of using either 'hardware full screen', or the older 'window full screen' mode. People who want the best performance for some graphically intensive application, can then select this, while people who want the convenience of Windows filling the screen, without the bar at the top, and with easy movement between the 'screens', would then have the convenience of the previous system.
    An 'upgrade', that for 90% of real users, is actually a 'downgrade'....

3. PMB_SD

PMB_SD Junior Member

parallels 11 works as you describe RogerH6... when you disable the Apple Displays have separate Spaces preference anyway. (and I believe it's actually 3 separate super windows not just one spanning) the issue in 12 is how they removed that option in Parallels and you get a new Apple Full screen mode space. 1 for each windows monitor! so 3 full screen spaces, each one only showing of the 3 monitors, and the other 2 screens are BLACK. I get that apple's implementation of full screen mode is dumb, because it actually doesn't allow for muti monitor applications in full screen... you get one screen and one space. what I can't fathom is why Parallels removed a perhaps less than optimal window full screen mode in 12? Give us the Option back please... or come up with a workaround that lets you use full screen with Displays have separate Spaces enabled, but still swap ALL displays (as an option) to Windows if you swap one of them to that space... oh, and fix the issue where even if you are using Displays have separate Spaces and living with swapping each one separately, it needs to not collapse back to a single display when the windows environment locks. (I have no control over that, because it's a group policy thing to lock the screen after X minutes of inactivity)

4. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Yes, it is Apple's implementation that causes the problem with 'full screen', but in 11, the so called 'full screen', wasn't, instead it was a full sized window, and it seems silly that they can't offer the 'full window' mode as an option for people who don't need the extra performance that the native full screen mode offers. Then solves problems like yours...

5. PMB_SD

PMB_SD Junior Member

That is why I get to live with P11 and hope maybe they come up with a solution for P12 and beyond. or that Apple dose.