parallels V12, Mac Sierra 10.12, Windows 7 Guest - no file sharing possible

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ToniO, Nov 17, 2016.

1. ToniO

ToniO Bit poster

In the past I worked with parallels 9 and shared files between host mac and guest windows 7. When I upgraded my host to Sierra Parallels stopped working (Known problem). Now I installed Parallels v12 - trial mode and parallels tools trial mode. Unfortunately, even when I follow the directions exactly ( devices -> sharing -> configure -> sharing and then select all disks, check share iCloud, check map mac volumes to windows; and on the security tab uncheck isolate Windows from Mac, there is ( after reboot windows 7 and restart parallels) nothing which shows just anything in windows about shared files/volumes/disks or folders.
    Does it not work in the trial versions ? Or what the heck is going on here ? I will certainly not buy parallels 12 when this is not working!

2. HPmax

HPmax Bit poster

I do have same problem. But i do have newest version of parallels installed on Sierra ( beta ) with virtual Windows 10, and no access to shared folder att all. Seeking for information if beta version is causing problem.

3. ToniO

ToniO Bit poster

I gave up - 24 hrs and nobody showing any insight here. Because of that I started googling around and found virtualbox. Installed it in 10 minutes and everything works like a train - why the f**k should I pay 60$ or more for something which has no added value and doesn't even work? I really tried everything - reboot 10 times windows and parallels - to no avail. I just recommend everybody to move to virtualbox - works out-of-the-box, and you don't need to fork out money when apple decides to do a major upgrade and parallels doesn't work anymore - the parallels team just lost a customer here...and I am happy with virtualbox.

DanielC4 likes this.
  4. WonB

WonB Junior Member

I'm bumping this thread because I have the same problem.
    No response from the developers?

5. HPmax

HPmax Bit poster

I got solution from support. I did uninstall parallel tools in windows control panel, restart windows, install parallels tools again. This helps me. It seems that update didn't make it correctly in virtual machine

6. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello WonB, please check this article and keep us posted.

7. DavidC29

DavidC29 Junior Member

my parallel tools (12) keep reinstalling each time i start vm for windows 10 thru bootcamp.../ how shud i stop it?

8. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hey @DavidC29,
    1. Start Windows virtual machine.
    2. Press CMD+R.
    3. Type %appdata% and hit Return/Enter.
    4. Go to Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and delete all installation packages from the following list:
      • Autorun.exe;
      • PTAgent.exe;
      • Setup.exe.
    5. Restart Windows virtual machine and check the issue and keep us posted the result.

9. DavidC29

DavidC29 Junior Member

hello Raj....
    thankyou....problem solved :)

10. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Welcome! Please feel free to reach us anytime for support.

11. DavidC29

DavidC29 Junior Member

hi raj,
    facing another problem...
    Installed windows 7 ultimate in parallels 12...my external hdd is connected to Mac base os.
    I am trying to drag or copy contents, folders, etc from my external hdd (connected to Mac) on to my windows 7 desktop or to any folder, but its not copying or dragging or moving.... what can be the problem....pls help !!!

12. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Are you getting any error message while dragging file from an external hard disk into your Windows virtual machine? Please check whether you are able to mount that external hard disk on Windows VM. If for some reason the device failed to get properly installed try to delete it from the Device manager and then Scan for Hardware Changes.

13. DavidC29

DavidC29 Junior Member

hi paul,
    just to brief u,
    Iam using windows 7 & windows 10 -
    windows 7 VM directly thru parallel desktop
    windows 10 VIA Bootcamp thru parallel desktop (windows 10 installed in bootcamp)
    In both cases (win 7 & 10) I am UNABLE to copy, drag, copy from windows to Mac or Mac to windows desktop or folders...
    I have also reinstalled Parallel tools, but the problem prevails...I feel stuck....

In reply to ur question-
    No... I am not getting any error while dragging or copying any file from External HDD on to my Windows virtual machine
    Yes, I can mount external HDD on windows VM

14. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know the version Mac OS X you are using with its build number.

15. DavidC29

DavidC29 Junior Member

macOS Sierra 10.12.3 (16D32).....what can be the problem..?

16. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Please make sure the VM is not isolated. Please refer the article and check.

17. DavidC29

DavidC29 Junior Member

thanks Ajit....
    a/ if I do isolate now, "sharing" will be disabled......if sharing gets disabled, then will I get the same access in isolation or will I miss some
    b/. If "isolate" solves the problem, do I still have to go with Parallels Tools components (prl_cc.exe)
    c/ will "isolate" effect the security level between 2 systems & saved data on each system
    d/. clarify the difference between "isolate" & "sharing" and which is best to go with....

thanks for your support

18. UlrichK2

UlrichK2 Bit poster

I've got the same Problem with a VM Windows 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.0 in OSX 10.11.6 (15G1217) and Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac Pro Edition Version 12.1.3 (41532).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  19. DavidC29

DavidC29 Junior Member

hello Ajit n Paul
    iam wtng for my yesterday's reply on 4 pt querry....i hv still not enabled "isolate" till my doubt is clear...

20. DavidC29

DavidC29 Junior Member

Reminder!!!!!!!

a/ if I do isolate now, "sharing" will be disabled......if sharing gets disabled, then will I get the same access in isolation or will I miss some
    b/. If "isolate" solves the problem, do I still have to go with Parallels Tools components (prl_cc.exe)
    c/ will "isolate" effect the security level between 2 systems & saved data on each system
    d/. clarify the difference between "isolate" & "sharing" and which is best to go with....