Cannot drag my application windows when in full screen and app windows is on top edge.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AliJ, Nov 22, 2016.

1. AliJ

AliJ Member

I upgraded to Desktop 12 and also have probems with being able to drag my application windows that are on the top edge of the screen while in full screen mode. When I try to drag the application window, it drags the whole screen instead!. Driving me crazy as I cant move my aplications or even resize them. Please get us a fix asap. I wish I never upgraded to 12 as i have had nothing but trouble with full screen mode since i upgraded.

2. AliJ

AliJ Member

any update on this? i found out if i temporarily switch to window mode and back to full screen it goes bck to normal but once i swipe to mac mode and back, once again dragging any application window on top edge of screen does not allow me to drag the application and instread the while win 10 screen drags (in full screen mode!). please help!

3. AliJ

AliJ Member

any updates?

4. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hi, have you tried installing Parallels tools as suggested in the article? If not, please try it and let us know how it goes.

5. AliJ

AliJ Member

Parallels tools is installed. Version # 12.1.1.41491 that was the first thing I checked. Still no progess and same symptom. If my apps are near the top edge and i recently went back nad forth from mac mode to windows full screen, i am unable to drag my application windows by dragging th title bar. it drags the whole screen and scanps back....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hi @AliJ,
    The issue occurred in any specific application or for all apps in Windows virtual machine?

7. AliJ

AliJ Member

it happens to all applications. see attached picture. you can see i dragged tried to drag down window and instead whole VM getts dragged down

Attached Files:

• aa.png
      aa.png
      File size:
      317.2 KB
      Views:
  8. AliJ

AliJ Member

well? any ideas?

9. AliJ

AliJ Member

Hello? can i get someone at support team to explain if this bug is going to be fixed?

10. AliJ

AliJ Member

See this video showing more clearly the issue. I even updated to Version 12.1.3 (41532) and no luck :(

11. Hi, could you please generate the problem report using this article and reply us back with the report number.

12. AliJ

AliJ Member

Report ID is 155881148

13. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Please follow the below steps and keep us posted:
    1. Shutdown the original Virtual Machine (Do not suspend).
    2. In Parallels Desktop menu bar go to File > New > Install Windows or another OS form a DVD or image file click Locate manually.
    3. Tick Continue without a source and click Continue.
    4. Choose appropriate OS > choose appropriate virtual machine configuration > tick Customize settings before installation.
    5. Open the Control Center (Window menu > Control Center). Click on the cogwheel next to the original virtual machine to open its configuration.
    6. Compare the setting of the new virtual machine settings with the original one. Set up all the new virtual machine settings like in the original one. Then close the original virtual machine configuration window.
    7. In the new virtual machine's configuration go to Hardware tab > Hard Disk 1. Set the Source to Choose an image file.
    8. Navigate to the virtual machine location directory (default folders are /Documents/Parallels/ or /Users/Shared/Parallels/, it can be different in your particluar case) and open your original virtual machine's .pvm bundle, choose .hdd file inside it. Also make sure that you got the same location type as it is in the original virtual machine configuration.
    9. Close settings and complete the virtual machine installation. The new virtual machine will be started.
    10. Please check if you are experiencing the same issue.
    NOTE: You may follow this article till step 9.
    11 If the issue still persists, please uninstall and reinstall Parallels Desktop 12.

14. NathanJ

NathanJ Member

@AliJ Were you able to resolve this? I'm having the same problem. I have found a workaround although it's a bit annoying. If you click View->Exit Full Screen, wait for it to size down, and then click View->Enter Full Screen it will stop doing that. You'll have to repeat each time you start up the VM.

It seems like full screen has been flaky all around since they starting using the "OS X Full Screen" rather than simply filling a desktop. Seems like they only test it in the other modes and forget about those of us that want a discrete screen experience.

15. AliJ

AliJ Member

Unfortunatly same results. I create a new VM and copied all the setting and used same HD as you described. I ran the new VM and uninstalled PD12 and reinstalled. VM started in window mode. switched to full screen using command+ctrl+f, 3 finger swiped to MAC desktop, clicked on mac top menu, and swiped back to windows, opened a app window and moved to top edge. Then I tried to move down and SAME results. whole windows desktop drags instead of app window :( no change.

I can easily reproduce every time. I can fix it temporarily by command+ctrl+f to window mode and command+ctrl+f back to full screen. Then its fixed till i go to mac descktop (3 finger swipe) and click on top level menu and go back to windows desktop (3 finger swipe). the issue appears again.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  16. gregv2

gregv2 Bit poster

Same problem. Just started for me a week ago. Not sure what changed - i install all updates to windows and parallels automatically. The workaround works ( command+ctrl+f twice) but annoying! Needs to be a fix for this!

17. AliJ

AliJ Member

Any update on this? we really need a fix. its quite an annoying bug.

18. AliJ

AliJ Member

please help us!

19. Jasond4

Jasond4 Bit poster

Every installation of Parallels I've seen is doing this, including mine. This has got to be a 'known issue' to the Parallels team.

20. AliJ

AliJ Member

Any news on this Parallels? this issue is really annoying and drives users nuts.