2 WINDOWS VERSIONS INSTALLED, HOW DO I DELETE 1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TINAR, Mar 2, 2017.

1. TINAR

TINAR Bit poster

When installing Windows 10, 2 versions were installed. The Windows 10.1 is the registered & licensed version, how do I delete the Windows 10 version that does not have a license? I call Microsoft and they said it wasn't their problem to fix!!! If I can delete the older version will I loose my programs? I don't have any on the older version but do have some on the 10.1 Windows.

2. HonzaIl

HonzaIl Member

Microsoft is right, this is not their problem :) This description is bit difficult to understand, but I think you somehow ended up with two virtual machines. Each Virtual machine looks like a file with extension .pvm in the macOS Finder. It is actually folder, but that has no consequences here. If you want to get rid of a virtual machine in Parallels, start Parallels, go to Control Center (if necessary, open from Parallels menu) and right click on the virtual machine you want to get rid of. Select Remove. If you really want to get rid of it and reclaim the space, let Parallels to move the files to Trash (and empty when you are really, really sure all is OK). If not sure, leave the .pvm file/folder where it is (Do NOT move to trash). You can manually delete the .pvm file/folder later ---- or if necessary, double click this .pvm file and that will re-register it back in Parallels Control center so you can use it again.
    Keep in mind, that all your Windows programs and any data in that Virtual machine are inside that large .pvm file/folder. You can loose a lot of stuff if you delete wrong .pvm file...

3. TINAR

TINAR Bit poster

Honzall, thank you so much for the information. I knew from the start that I didn't want the older version so nothing was installed, so nothing was lost. You were a great help.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi TINAR,
    Well! Thanks for the suggestion Honzali, by the way we do have a better option to save your files and applications in Windows 10 without deleting it. All you have to do is simply attach the virtual hard disk of Windows 10 to Windows 10.1 virtual machine. I hope this article will help!

5. Mariam8

Mariam8 Bit poster

Hi Paul,
    Why would you want 2 hard drives when the first downloaded Windows 10 is not active and its just taking up space?

6. I think that Paul just add suggestion according TINAR question: "If I can delete the older version will I loose my programs?"