Privileges issues installing software on guest Win 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GianlucaC1, Mar 2, 2017.

1. GianlucaC1

GianlucaC1 Bit poster

I have a guest Windows 10 running on Parallels Desktop over my MacBook Pro with OS Sierra.
    I am trying to install in the virtual windows 10 a software called Solidwork 2016, whose setup.exe is located on a server. I can access such a server without an issues and run the setup.exe, but at the moment i have to select the installation folder I got an error which reads like

'You cannot write in this folder. Check your privileges'.

The folder I selected to install Solidworks and its toolbox is a new one, called with the name of the software, located in 'C://', which is the virtual hard disk used by Windows 10. I don't know how to fix this problem.

The VM is already configurated in such a way that all the folders are shared with the Mac.

Can you help me?

2. HonzaIl

HonzaIl Member

You need help from Windows or Microsoft - this is NOT Parallels issue, this will be same problem on real physcial Windows PC.
    I believe that in latest version of Widows 10 you cannot install anything in C:\ folder, unless you gain a lot of privileges (admin privileges and even those need to be somehow elevated). If you have regular admin privileges, you may need to place SolidWork in C:\Program Files\SomeNameHere\. I think I read somewhere that C:\ is not accessible to users anymore, even with regular admin privileges.
    Even if I am wrong, placing SolidWorks into C:\Program Files\SomeFolder is customary and correct way of doing so.
    If you cannot install in Program Files, you are likely missing admin privileges and need to use admin login. Again, that is Windows issue and not Parallels issue...

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. @HonzaIl thanks a lot for your reply!