No dot in dock for VM's in Coherence Mode in Parallels 12

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Nemensi, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

After upgrading to Parallels 12 I have noticed, that the VM symbol in dock for a VM in Coherence Mode is not marked with a dot when running. Bug or feature?

2. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

It only happens, if the option Dock symbols for virtual machines is set to None. It has been working fine in Parallels 10. Any chance for a fix?

3. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @SvenR
    We have tested in our environment and it works fine! Please reinstall Parallels Desktop on your Mac and check the behaviour.

4. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

5. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

Any response from support to the video?

6. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

I would really appreciate some help here.

7. Hi @SvenR are you using the latest version of Parallels Desktop 12? If yes, please try to reinstall tools.
    If it doesn't help you please create a problem report using this KB and provide us with the report number. We will check the issue.

8. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

Yes, I'm using the latest version (12.02) and I have reinstalled the tools. The problem report ID is 121772335.

9. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

I'm using Parallels 12.1.1 in Coherence mode and if I remove a Windows app from the Dock, reopen the app and minimize it, I see a "Live screenshot" for the app in the right-hand section of the Dock rather than a normal icon with a dot at the bottom in the main section of the dock. Is there a fix for this?

10. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Please update Parallels Desktop 12.1.3 to the latest build.
    Reinstall Parallels Tools and keep us posted the result.

11. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Have you tried with Parallels Desktop 12.1.3 latest build, if the issue persists keep is posted?

12. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

I updated but the problem still exists. If I open any Windows app and minimize it, I see the Live Screenshot rather than a dot under the application's icon. In the attached example I opened and then minimized Excel. Dock.jpg

13. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

Update: I noticed that OS X apps showed the same behavior even though System Preferences->Dock->"Minimized windows into application icon" was set. Turning off my iMac and then turning it back on resolved the problem.

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi MartinLiss, please go to Parallels preferences->General-> virtual machine Dock Icons- >choose " OS Icon" to get a dot under the icon.

15. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

I would, but unfortunately 12.1.x limits a VM to 4 CPU / 8 GB. So 12.0.2 is highly probable the last version I will use.