Parallels tools install fails on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by James Rome, Feb 5, 2017.

1. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

It keeps saying that the kernel headers are not installed. But I have installed the kernel development package, and that includes linux-glibc-devel, which ois supposedly where the headers are located.
    How do i fix this?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi James Rome, plr-tools-lin.iso is not mounted in virtual machine or no Super User privileges assigned in Open SUSE Terminal. Please follow the steps suggested below to install Parallels Tools on Open SUSE:
    * Open virtual machine settings.
    * Mount plr-tools-lin.iso as it is shown below:
    Note: If plr-tools-lin.iso is not listed, click Choose an image file.. and navigate to /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Tools, choose plr-tools-lin.iso and click Open.
    * In the virtual machine run Terminal and perform su command to run a Super User mode:
    * Open Computer and under Devices open Parallels Tools:
    * Drag and drop Install script file to the Terminal window and hit Return\Enter.
    * Proceed with Parallels Tools installation.

3. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

This is what I did! the install program says that the kernel Headers are not installed, tries to download then, but fails. Where is it looking for them? I did this as root.

4. YahshaB

YahshaB Bit poster

I too have the same trouble. I followed Paul's instructions and it still won't install kernel-headers or dkms.
    If anyone figures this out please post here.

5. PankajK1

PankajK1 Junior Member

I am having this issue as well. Tumbleweed is full of its own bugs and the fact that its a rolling release, using closed source drivers is not the best option to take if you want to use tumbleweed. It most probably will break again after the next update (if that update includes a new kernel and if you are using closed source drivers like parallels tools). In my experience with Linux in parallels so far, I would say that unless you are using an old distro or some really popular ones, using Parallels is not your best bet. This could only change if Parallels decide to release some kind of open source equivalent of their parallels tools.

6. The Parallels tools for SuSE are not really the best - on Mint, folder and file sharing work fine, printers work, etc ... not so much on SuSE. I suspect its the use of the open VirtualBox interface in SuSE .. never was too great. I dropped SuSE and moved to Mint just because of this issue. Mint 18.1 is fine - no issues.

7. RainerS1

RainerS1 Member

SterlingG one purpose of virtual machine providers is to test distributions, so it is not a question of which distribution I like best.

8. MahmoodS

MahmoodS Bit poster

The setup first fails to install some required packages (kernel-devel, dkms, and libelf-devel). But once I install those, the compilation fails anyway, with error implicit declaration of function "signal_pending". This, apparently has to do with the new version of kernel being used in Tumbleweed, so probably needs a proper patch from Parallels.

Here is the log:

Code:
    make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.11.2-1-obj/x86_64/default'
    grep: /lib/modules/4.11.2-1-default/build/include/linux/completion.h: No such file or directory
      CC [M]  /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    In file included from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:38:0:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_compat.h: In function 'wait_for_completion_interruptible':
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_compat.h:137:8: error: implicit declaration of function 'signal_pending' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
        if (signal_pending(current)) {
            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    make[5]: *** [/usr/src/linux-4.11.2-1/scripts/Makefile.build:296: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o] Error 1
    make[4]: *** [/usr/src/linux-4.11.2-1/Makefile:1502: _module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2
    make[3]: *** [Makefile:152: sub-make] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [Makefile:24: __sub-make] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.11.2-1-obj/x86_64/default'
    make[1]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/Makefile.v26:23: prl_tg] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make: *** [Makefile.kmods:35: installme] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error: failed to install kernel modules
    2017-05-29T22:37:32+0200: execCmd: ./install --install [143]
    2017-05-29T22:37:32+0200: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.
    2017-05-29T22:37:34+0200: Exiting with code 1
    There are a couple of other issues, just like this, with compiler warnings that are being caught as error and subsequently halting the compilation. One can disable these with a -Wno-error CFLAG, but nonetheless the install will fail in the end for a reason that I cannot figure out by looking at the logs.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  9. christian.vrl

christian.vrl Bit poster

Guys, seems this problem is related to kernel version, on this other thread a guy from Paralles states version 12.2.0 supports up to kernel 4.10.x - no kernel 4.11.x - see at https://forum.parallels.com/threads/parallels-tools-build-fails-under-new-kernel-4-11-3.340908/

Would be great if Parallels back up (support) kernel version quicker .

10. AegisI

AegisI Member

The installation first is unable to create some required offers. But once I set up those, the collection is not able anyway, with mistake implied promise of operate "signal_pending". This, obviously has to do with the new edition of kernel being used in Tumbleweed, so probably needs an effective spot from Commonalities.

11. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

12. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

This is with Kernels 5.5 and 5.7