Windows boot in black screen

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DonatT1, Dec 24, 2016.

1. DonatT1

DonatT1 Bit poster

In my Mac I have Parallels desktop 11. In it I have 2 Windows 10 operation system. When I boot the A it boot in succesful. When I boot B it has black screen and doesn't do anything. I tried to press CTRL+ALT+DEL but it wasn't succesful.
    What shall I do?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi DonatT1,
    The black screen may be the result of not enough video memory Select the vm in question (but do not turn on) from the gear top right of vm open vm configuration>select Hardware>Graphics> increase video memory ( the suggestion is to increase it to 768mb)
    2016-12-24 06.30.22 am.jpg

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. @DonatT1 did the previous steps help?
    If not please let us know did you receive any error message during the boot?

4. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

I get this also and I'm running 780 but it still does the same. I have to go to Parallels and click on ACTIONS then STOP or RESET for it to do anything. When it comes back upo after rebooting it saw Windows closed unexpectedly and asks to start normal or in safe mode.

5. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Looks like it might have been something else because they say they fixed it in the latest update Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac 12.1.2 (41525) : Resolves an issue with virtual machines stuck at black screen on booting

But they said the same thing in update Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac 12.1.0 (41489) : Resolves an issue with virtual machines stuck at black screen on booting

and also in the update Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac 12.0.1 (41296) : Resolves an issue with virtual machines booting into a black screen

So hopefully it really is fixed on this latest update.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. James Minnihan

James Minnihan Member

No, they haven't fixed it. It happens in Parallels Desktop 12.1.3 also for both my Windows 8.1 Pro x64 guest and my Windows 10 Pro x64 guest. Ready to bail on Parallels after working with their support people on this without resolution... For me, the black screen happens when un-suspending a suspended guest in either windowed or coherence modes. or when going from coherence mode back to windowed mode. In the latter issue, the funny thing is, at first the full Windows desktop is drawn properly inside the window, but then a split second later a black screen appears. Number of monitors doesn't seem to be a factor as it happens when theres either 1, 2 or 3 monitors attached to your Mac.

I wish that Parallels would create a multi-window mode option whereby in Windows each monitor can be a Mac window with the capability of spanning the mouse pointer across each of them whether it be 2 or 3 monitor "windows".

Basically, I want to run 1 Mac monitor, and 2 windows monitors and still be able to move my mouse between the three of them without doing a "Ctrl-Option" click to get the mouse two switch between macOS and Windows OR a truly working version of Coherence which right now I am calling "Incoherence".