Can't type text in Edge windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Vigouroux, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Vigouroux

Vigouroux Bit poster

Hello
    Got a strange problem. I can't type text in Edge (and cortana). I can type text in outlook, word, etc ... but not in edge or cortana.
    I'm running windows 10 in parallels 12.
    Is there a configuration option I've missed?
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Regards
    Laurent

2. Hi, you can try this KB as a probable solution.
    Let us know how it works.

3. CraigS4

CraigS4 Junior Member

I'm having the same problem (can't type in edge or the cortana search field, but I can paste text in) I tried the solution linked above, and it seriously destabilized my windows 10. the task bar continually crashes, and some apps I now have to run as admin to get them to launch at all. (and the tweaks listed in the kb didn't even help the typing issue.)

4. Vigouroux

Vigouroux Bit poster

I've finally had to re-isntall windows from scratch to solve the issue :-(
    And actually I've had the problem again once, which I solved thanks to a backup of my windows parallels file.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Glad we could get you pointed in the right direction. Let us know if you need anything else. We're happy to help!

6. vhpaez

vhpaez Bit poster

I don't think this was a solved solution. He stated that once he re-installed the problem came back. I have had the same problem for over 2 months myself and don't know how to fix it. I don't want to re-install if the issue is coming back.

7. sHelphrey

sHelphrey Bit poster

I have the same issue and was just about to reset my Windows installation until I realized I'd have to reinstall all my software.

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Please follow the KB article and change the keyboard layout.
    Then, try reinstalling Parallels Tools and keep us posted whether it resolved the issue.

9. RichardP10

RichardP10 Junior Member

I am having the same issue. I tried all of the steps listed above and still cannot type anything in the Cortana search or in the Edge URL. Other applications work fine.
    Any other suggestions?

10. sHelphrey

sHelphrey Bit poster

I had to completely blow out my windows and reinstall from scratch to get it to work.

11. RichardP10

RichardP10 Junior Member

I am pretty swamped at work and really don't have the luxury of reloading everything any time soon so I am working around it. Sure wish they'd fix it as I have seen this reported by multiple people in various threads.

12. SusanR1

SusanR1 Bit poster

This worked like a charm for me:
    1. Press Win + R (to open Run )
    2. copy paste and press enter to run this program. "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe". it brings back the language bar and for me it allowed me to type in windows search, start menu and WINDOWS 10 apps again

AshleySilver, ZainH, Ajith1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Thanks for sharing your solution @SusanR1

AshleySilver likes this.
  14. RichardP10

RichardP10 Junior Member

Wow - that worked SusanR1 - thank you! Haven't rebooted my VM after trying this, do you have to run this every time you start up (saw a few Google posts where some people have to and made it a startup script)?

Ajith1 and Maria@Parallels like this.
  15. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to hear that! Feel free to reach us anytime for support.

16. pufferdude

pufferdude Member

Found this thread when I came across the issue myself today. I can also confirm that the workaround of running C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe fixed it for me (no idea if it survives a reboot). I find it funny AND sad that Parallels support appears to be "happy" about this solution in this thread. HEY PARALLELS, WAKE UP!! This is a serious bug and you should be RELAYING THIS INFORMATION to your Engineering dept, not saying "we're glad to hear that!". The "fix" is just a band-aid and the real problem exists IN YOUR SOFTWARE. SO FIX IT ALREADY.

KrisJ1 likes this.
  17. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We will share your feedback with the development team and also like to inform you that ctfmon.exe is the Microsoft process that controls Alternative User Input and the Office Language bar if that particular service is not running then it is a Microsoft Issue.

18. KellyF2

KellyF2 Bit poster

Actually, I suspect it is a Parallels issue. This problem only started for me immediately after I upgraded to Parallels 12. Before then I'd had years of trouble-free upgrades and use.

19. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Dear @KellyF2, Windows has what they call an Alternative User Input and Microsoft Office Language Bar. Ctfmon is the process that monitors input activity on from those services and allows you to use speech recognition, and handwriting recognition. This process is normally located in the following location:
    C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe This process might have corrupted and that is the reason you weren't able to type text in Edge.

KellyF2 likes this.
  20. JohnK14

JohnK14 Bit poster

I've had this issue as well since installing P12 in addition to incredibly slow boot up times for Windows. The solution is a short term fix as it has to be done each time you reboot your Vmachine. I'm hoping Parallels will be quick to create a fix for both issues.