Windows 10 refuses to restart/shut down

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PeteD2, Mar 23, 2017.

1. PeteD2

PeteD2 Bit poster

Nearly every time I attempt to restart or shut down my windows 10 VM on Parallels 12, it hangs on the blue "Restarting..." screen (with the rotating dots.)
    I've let it sit for several minutes without success. There are no known pending Windows updates that are installing. Finally I have to do a forced reset.
    Does anyone have a remedy for this?

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi there. Did any Windows update install recently within the virtual machine? Also, please follow http://kb.parallels.com/5691 and let me know if there are any snapshots taken for your Windows earlier.

3. PeteD2

PeteD2 Bit poster

I do not have any snapshots on this VM, and yes, there were some recent updates, but this has happened without updates as well.
    I tried one thing - moving the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder out of the way, and running Windows Update. I've restarted the system successfully twice since then, so perhaps it's cleared up. In this case, it's not a Parallels problem.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

I appreciate the information and hope that the fix is a complete one. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks for your time.