Parallels causes problem with "Minimize windows into application icon"

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MartinLiss, Mar 19, 2017.

1. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

I use Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Pro version 12.1.3 and my support code is 78950-21405. On occasion I've noticed that when Parallels is running, that when minimizing either an OS X or Windows app, the app doesn't minimize into the application icon but rather I get a little picture of the minimized app at the right side of my dock. Note that my Apple "Minimize windows into application icon" option is checked and unchecking and rechecking doesn't help. In order to restore that functionality I have to reboot the Mac.

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Martin. So the issue doesn't start as soon as you start Parallels, but rather randomly while running Parallels, is that right?

3. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

Yes, that is correct.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Ok, let's try this: The next time the issue occurs, do not restart your Mac. Please shut down Windows (as opposed to simply leaving it in suspended state; see http://kb.parallels.com/123111 for details) and quit Parallels Desktop completely. Check if the concerned functionality returns as soon as Parallels is quit.

5. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

I thought of that and it didn't work.

BTW I contacted Apple support yesterday and they couldn't find anything wrong with the way OS X was working. They did however have me do a PRAM (Command + Option + P + R) reboot and since then the problem hasn't happened, but it's been less than one full day. If it happens again I'll post again.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Alright, feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help!