Parallels Tools Kills Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15042

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarkByrn, Feb 24, 2017.

1. jwynn9154

jwynn9154 Junior Member

Have your tried setting 3D Acceleration to DirectX 9? (Under Hardware/Graphics/Advance Settings in the virtual machine configuration utility)

2. EdwinN

EdwinN Junior Member

I tried this but it made no difference. The blue screen stop error is "System thread exception not handled".

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @TrungT1
    We would suggest you perform system repair and check if it helps in resolving the issue.
    You can perform a "Startup Repair" using Windows 10 bootable DVD or USB drive and check if that helps.
    If you don't have the bootable DVD or USB drive, please refer to the steps in the article given below to create one and then follow the steps given below.
    Create installation media for Windows 10 and then follow the steps mentioned below:
    Go to command prompt (in advanced options) and hit following commands to repair MBR.
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Press [y] when system asks you to accept.
    Exit
    Now, use option: Refresh your PC in advanced option and then Reboot to fix the issue.

4. flip

flip Bit poster

Can confirm also with Windows 10 Insider Preview 15063 (rs2_release)

TrungT1 likes this.
  5. TrungT1

TrungT1 Junior Member

Confirmed.

6. TrungT1

TrungT1 Junior Member

Hi @PaulChris@Parallels ,
    Thanks for you response, is it the official way to fix this issue or just work around?
    @AlL: any of you tried this please let me know the result, many thanks.

7. TrungT1

TrungT1 Junior Member

Just another information for you, if I start with safe-mode, then remove parallels display adapter, then I can start windows as normal but cannot set to retina resolution.

flip likes this.
  8. flip

flip Bit poster

Tried the system repair- no luck.

9. flip

flip Bit poster

By the way, as another point, which I am figuring someone has covered already, the update process 'works' all the way until after Parallels re-installs itself, after the final batch of reboots and 'Hey- hang on, we've got to update some other stuff' screen. After that goes away, Parallels Tools auto-installs and blasts everything.

10. EdwinN

EdwinN Junior Member

This is not the answer. The Parallels video driver crashes Windows 10 with a system thread exception not handled error. It is 100% a Parallels 12 issue and this problem is only going to grow once these Insider Preview versions of Windows 10 go main stream. Now is the time to fix this not when it affects every user!

TrungT1 and flip like this.
  11. flip

flip Bit poster

As with the others, if I disable the Parallels display driver whilst in safe mode I can boot into a low-resolution wonderland.

TrungT1 likes this.
  12. JamesL3

JamesL3 Bit poster

Just updated to Build 15063 (1703 RTM). Same BSOD problem and same solution by disable Parallels Video Driver. Can 99% sure it's the driver problem and hope dev team solve the problem asap. (kowtow)
    After disabled official driver the VM fallback to default display drivers and works well. The maximum resolution is 1920x1080 via an Retina display 12-inch new MacBook, and can zoom to 150% dpi. No significant delay. All the other drivers included in Parallels Tools are OK.

TrungT1 and flip like this.
  13. TrungT1

TrungT1 Junior Member

Still waiting :((((((((((((

flip likes this.
  14. EdwinN

EdwinN Junior Member

@spar7y posted the best temporary solution for this problem in another thread. Once you run into the bluescreen issue boot into recovery mode run diagnostics and then choose option 3 (low resolution mode). After restarting you should be able to boot into Window 10. Run msconfig.exe select the boot tab then check the base video box. Once this is done you should be able to boot into you Parallels VM without bluescreen errors.

TrungT1 likes this.
  15. TrungT1

TrungT1 Junior Member

THANKS YOU
    Confirmed this solution worked for my MBP Windows 10 15063 :)

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Yes @TrungT1, this is a workaround for Windows 10 Insider Preview. We recommend you to download and install Windows 10 from Microsoft.

TrungT1 likes this.
  17. PaulChristopher@Parallels

You are welcome! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help!

TrungT1 likes this.
  18. exemega

exemega Bit poster

This is still not solved...:(

19. MacRS4

MacRS4 Bit poster

This is absolutely doing my head in - on three different machines this has started happening now. If you change the resolution modes then they just look crappy. Half way through building new machines in Fusion due to it.
    Friday. RAGE.

20. TrungT1

TrungT1 Junior Member

@exemega try the solution below, it worked for me ^^