Regular connection issues resolved by server reboot

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by JosephF3, Mar 28, 2017.

1. JosephF3

JosephF3 Bit poster

Hi
    We have had the product in place for some time and have only recently started experiencing an issue where the gateway server stops accepting connections at seemingly random points during the day. The 2x application log doesn't appear to even notice that anything has happened, resource utilisation does not appear to be critical however a reboot of the server resolves the problem.
    Has anyone experienced anything similar, or have any idea where I should be looking for an answer to the problem?
    Many thanks in advance

2. MISS

MISS Bit poster

JosephF3. Our server is in the same boat. But only the latest build we did, running on Server 2016. I have sourced a new server and building a sole Server 2016 RDS box, deciding to get rid of 2X/Parallels as they have dropped the ball in the past 12 months. ie. I have a post on this forum "Where's the update?" as there is some 'fixes' in the more recent releases of RAS that 'may' address the issue. But I cannot get a response from anyone, so good luck to you too! I shall be keeping an eye on your post also in a vain hope someone helps you/us out! We were averaging a reboot a day ... alas today, we've done 3 already (4th pending, but I'm desperately snooping around hoping I've missed something the past 1000 times I've looked) - so getting over sending broadcasts "just for a change, the servers stopped accepting connections and is being rebooted"

Further to your comments above, I have also noticed the lack of logs as to whats happened - on either the server or the RAS. I believe this is because the program/system doesn't realize there's an issue, as RAS allows people to connect and passes them over to the RDS but doesn't 'realize' (lack of better words) that their connection was never completed. Same boat with the Windows logs, the user technically connects - but doesn't? Then there's the quirk of everyone who's already connected - stays connected. But anyone trying to get on, can not.

Our users are greeted with a variety of error messages, from:
    RDP Host busy
    Portable Device Service has not responded in a timely fashion
    Process is already running, but has not responded. The old process must be closed to open a new one.

On the Server - if you're able to log in.
    Task Manager shows, instead of a username appearing in the "USER" column, a handful of username "(4)" (referring to how many processes are running) with the status of disconnected.

A lot of research I've done points to "one problematic client, find them and you're set" ... but when you have 270 users connecting at any which time, it's hard/impossible to narrow down - especially when there's no helpful log entries and user's don't report it's fallen over for XX minutes!

Not a very helpful post, sorry ... just someone on your side!

Oh, one last thing I remembered as I hit 'post ... we have an application published from another host, a windows 10 client, so no RDS involved - this app does NOT work when the before mentioned issue rears it's ugly head - which to me, suggests this is a problem with RAS (not the server) - thus I'm chasing the updates to RAS so badly. Also - try publishing "Internet Explorer" from the problematic RDS, watch it fire without a problem while the desktop problem exists - *baffled!*

edit- "30minutes later", glad I put this post in ... obviously someone saw it and kicked them in to gear - i now have the updates offered to my RAS, applying now! shall keep you in the loop ;D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  3. JosephF3

JosephF3 Bit poster

Thanks dude, glad its not just me! Did you get your issues sorted?

4. Valentin@Parallels

Valentin@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey @JosephF3

Let's try to identify if it is actually Gateway component that causes this behavior since there may be several reasons for such behavior. First thing first please allow me to ask several questions regarding environment setup:
    - Users who are connecting to RAS environment are located in same subnet as your RAS instance, or they are connecting from external locations?
    - Which type of the client users are using for connection? (Parallels Client desktop app (2X RDP Client)/HTML5 Gateway portal/RAS Web Portal)
    - If users are using desktop application then could you please check which Connection Mode is being used? In case if users are connecting using Gateway connection mode please try switching to Direct Mode instead and check if connection will be possible. Direct Mode minimizes client interaction with 2X Secure Client Gateway component.
    - Also I would like to clarify which error message is observed on client side when user tries to establish connection?

In sense of troubleshooting I would suggest to perform following actions next time the issue will show itself:
    1. Navigate to terminal server where RAS Gateway component is running - run services.msc command - locate services starting with '2X' (In particular this two: 2X SecureClientGateway and 2X Publishing Agent) and make sure that this services are running. If not - please start the services and check the behavior. You may also consider restarting this services as a possible solution.
    2. If 2X Log File does not contain noteworthy information it may be worth checking Windows System and Application Event Logs on the server to check if there are any events related to Remote Application Server within time frame when the issue was spotted.

Will be looking forward to hear any updates on this one from your side.

Cheers!

5. Valentin@Parallels

Valentin@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @MISS
    First of all apologies for inconvenience for delayed update release. Some critical-level issues were discovered in new build and release was postponed accordingly.
    However according to the description of the issue you mentioned it seems that your issue may be related to RDP environment. As you might know RAS relies on Microsoft RDP protocol in order to mirror user's sessions from terminal server to client machine.
    Considering error messages you mentioned I can suggest that remote desktop services are failing at some point. Can you please confirm that when the issue occurs you are able to RDP into RAS Terminal Servers directly using Domain User account? (not local server admin account)
    In case if RDP connection if possible please replicate the issue once again on purpose and once error message will be displayed on client side please check Windows Event Logs (Application/System logs) on terminal server for any recent entries related to access on this server.

Let me know if you will have any updates on this one!