Running windows accros multiple monitors, with Parallels 12

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LouisG2, Jan 29, 2017.

1. LouisG2

LouisG2 Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm unable to extend my windows 8.1 accros multiple monitors, it is confined to only 1 (one) monitor. Did I miss settings during the installation or it is due to the incompatibility of the retina display on my macbook pro. I'm trying to use windows to "Trade stocks" across 6 - 8 monitors, through the parallels system.

Do I need to get Windows 10 due to incompatibility ?
    Please help! ASAP

Louis

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi LouisG2, you are able to use your Windows 8.1 virtual machine on multiple monitors. Please check out this article and let us know how it works.

3. gmelin

gmelin Junior Member

Paul Chris, I am using OS Sierra with VM win8.1 and parallels 11. I have 3 monitors (iMac plus 2). My issue is that I cannot get the three monitors all in sync (attached in one Space). Each one has a separate space. I had no issue with Parallels 11 and this just occurred after upgrade. I have tried every Mission Control setting but nothing works. HELP!
    Thank you:)
    GM

4. gmelin

gmelin Junior Member

correction to above message: using PD12.1.3 (41532) not Parallels 11.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @gmelin, please uncheck "Display have separate Spaces" from MissionControl settings and this should be helpful!
    [​IMG]

6. gmelin

gmelin Junior Member

What version of Mac OS are you using. I am using 10.12.4. You are using older OS.
    Nevertheless, I have already tried that. Yes, it does show all 3 monitors at once but it creates another FATAL problem. The monitors Spaces do not stay together in sync. So when you switch from one Space to another 2 monitors are fixed and the main monitor switches to a new Space. That is ridiculous if you are using multiple VMs or other applications with additional Spaces. I would not call that a solution but another bug? Please come up with a fix since this is totally unusable. Note the PD11 does not have this issue, only PD12.

7. DanW6

DanW6 Bit poster

Louis, In Parallels 12, Parallels canned their custom window routines and went with native window support for better game support and future proof their product. Native windows support does not allow you to have Windows running full screen on one monitor without menu bars and Mac OS on your main iMac window. You can find MULTIPLE threads in this forum dating back to Sept 2016 discussing this issue. Fixing this issue is clearly not a priority for Parallels and regardless of what Parallels tech support says, their "solution" of putting the displays in separate spaces is sub optimal. Like you I use Parallels to drive my windows trading software, and love being able to see both OS's and copy and paste from windows to Mac OS. Unfortunately, the best solution I've found is to remain with Parallels 11 until Parallels gets it's act together. In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, request a refund as you have only 30 days from the initial licensing date - I waited to long thinking they'd fix this issue...

8. DanW6

DanW6 Bit poster