Parallels Desktop 12 and MacBook Pro Touch Bar slow performance.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PankajK1, Mar 25, 2017.

1. PankajK1

PankajK1 Junior Member

Hi,

I was previously using Parallels 12 on my old MacBook Pro retina 2012 15" model and the performance was quite good in Windows 10 (for example scrolling, dragging etc was super smooth.). I gave 4 cores and 4gb ram to the VM (out of the 8 cores and 8gb ram). I recently purchased the 2016 model 15" MacBook Pro Touch Bar. I created a new VM for Windows 10. But this time no matter how much resources I gave to the Windows 10 VM, the performance was never really as good as it was on my old MacBook Pro. I gave 4 cores and tried 4gb, 8gb of ram (out of the 16GB ram available.) to this VM.
    I believe this should not be the case and there is something definitely wrong.

2. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello PankajK1, please try the article and keep us posted.

3. PankajK1

PankajK1 Junior Member

Hi,
    I tried all the recommendations in that article but somehow it still feels sluggish. When I try to scroll in Microsoft edge, the scrolling is choppy and the page keeps on refreshing (as in buffering) if I try to scroll to fast. Also the screen refreshes sometimes with a reddish background colour. This did not happen on my previous MacBook Pro (with Nvidia gt 650m). When can we expect some kind of more fine tuned optimisations for the 2016 MacBook Pro with Radeon Pro series graphic cards?

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @PankajK1, please start your virtual machine and Right-click the Start button and select Command Prompt (run as Administrator) from the context menu.

Type Powershell in Command Prompt and press Enter.

Paste the following text in the Powershell window and press Enter.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

5. PankajK1

PankajK1 Junior Member

Hi @PaulChris@Parallels, Thanks for the reply. I have executed the command that you mentioned in your post. Is there anything else that I am supposed to do? The performance still seems to be sluggish. I can see that in Host OS the dedicated radeon Pro 450 is active and everything in macOS is super smooth but in Windows 10 the performance is not comfortable smooth and is irregular. For example, in the Windows Store, scrolling is extremely smooth sometimes and sometimes it is somewhat choppy. In Microsoft Edge, the scrolling is always choppy. Start Menu scrolling is sometimes OK but sometimes it is sluggish.

All in all, it seems as if sometimes the Radeon GPU is used while sometimes it is not. The scrolling just seems to be broken. I want to use Momentum based scrolling like in macOS (which is working in windows 10 in parallels) but I just want it to be smooth.

6. PankajK1

PankajK1 Junior Member

Hi again,
    So I found the main culprit. If I try to scroll too fast anywhere in Windows (let it be start menu, edge etc), the motion is not fluid and stutters. But if I scroll slowly without lifting my fingers off of the trackpad, the scrolling is perfect. I tried disabling "inertia scrolling" but that makes everything even worse more so in macOS as well. Therefore I think if the excellent team at Parallels can get the inertia scrolling to work properly in Windows, that'll be it. Parallels has already made Windows 10 overall experience better for me compared to Bootcamp but this stuttering and choppy scrolling with inertia just breaks the experience as of now.
    Also sometimes I see the wallpaper becoming RED in macOS when I am running Windows 10 in fullscreen. This Red overlay like bug goes away as soon as I refresh the desktop in the macOS. This never happened on my old MacBook Pro with Geforce GT 650m.
    I am using macOS 10.12.4.

7. MortenD

MortenD Bit poster

8. CheM2

CheM2 Bit poster

I also face the same issue. I am using MacbookPro 13 with Touch Bar. Last time i used the previous version of MacbookPro 13, and the experience was excellent. But now the Windows10 is very sluggish, always, always freezes and loging in and especially shutting down can take as long as 5minutes. Waking up from sleep (opening the macbook) can be painfully slow and it freezes many times before running as normal. I hope @Parallels Team can find a permanent solution to this. I enjoyed the past 3 versions of parallels very much, but not this one on new macbook pro.