Parallels second monitor and mouse issues

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by O-Robhartach, Jan 5, 2017.

1. O-Robhartach

O-Robhartach Junior Member

Hello,

I am running the latest version of Parallels for Mac Desktop (12.1.1) on a MacBook Pro w/Retina 15" (Fall 2014) running the latest version of Sierra. My Parallels VMs are running Windows 10.

Up until a week ago, everything was running fine. No major issues. However, over the last week I have run into two issues:

1) Parallels no longer recognizes my second monitor (no issues with my MacBook recognizing the monitor). When I am in Windows 10 and look at display settings two monitors appear. However, I cannot drag windows to the 2nd monitor (and sometimes the second monitor is actually my MacBook screen; sometimes it is the external monitor). At times in Windows 10 I cannot change from "display on monitor 1" to "extend displays", sometimes I can. However, in either case, I cannot drag any windows to the second monitor.

I briefly fixed this issue by reinstalling Parallels and restoring a day old version of my VM file. I worked OK for a day or two, but now the issue is back.

2) I've been getting double mouse arrows in my Parallels VM. One black, one white. I cannot move the mouse arrows over the full extent of the monitor - usually I cannot get to the left side of the screen, meaning I can't get to my Windows icon in the lower left. This issue also went away when I restored day old version of my VM, but it returned.

This is a highly frustrating issue as I do need two monitors for my work. I have "Use all displays in full screen" checked. And, on the MacBook, I've tested by toggling between checking the box for "Displays have separate Spaces" and unchecking it. It doesn't seem to impact my issue.

I have no issues with either my mouse or second monitor when I am just using the MacBook without using Parallels.

Thanks for taking the time to review my issue! Hopefully there is a solution.

Mike
    De Pere, Wisconsin

2. O-Robhartach

I did just notice something interesting. When in "Use all displays in full screen", I see the following: Parallels tabs.jpg
    My VM is called "iWinWork" and when I hover on the top of the window I see my OSx title bar (normal), then I seem my VM title bar (normal), but under the VM title bar I see what appears to be two tabs (notice the shaded tabs and the vertical divider right under the word iWinWork in the middle). These are indeed tabs - I don't know if this is a Windows 10 phenomenon or not, but if I right click I get an option to close a tab or move a tab to a separate window. If I switch out of "Use all displays in full screen" then only 1 tab is there.

3. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi, please let us know the type of connection by which the second monitor is connected to the Mac.
    Can you take a screenshot of this scenario and respond with the same?

4. O-Robhartach

Monitor is connected via the HDMI port on my MacBook Pro w/Retina (Fall 2014). I'll have to wait until I get a second monitor hooked up (on the road right now) to try to get a screen shot of the double cursor. Sometimes the double is just slightly offset so they overlap; other times it is about 1/2 a screen width away.

5. O-Robhartach

FYI - I do also get instances where the keyboard doesn't appear to work when I have a Parallels session open and am trying to work on my non-Parallels apps. It seems that if I close Parallels, then the keyboard starts responding again. This also has been occurring for the last couple of versions of Parallels.

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

We will now try removing Parallels Desktop completely and then reinstalling it. Please quit Parallels Desktop. Then, open Terminal (Finder > Go > Utilities > Terminal.app). Inside the Terminal window, please execute the commands below one-by-one:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sudo su

(NOTE: You will be prompted to enter your Mac password after executing the first command. Due to security measures you won't be able to see the password itself, just type it in and hit return/Enter.)

rm -rfd /System/Library/Extensions/prl*

rm -rfd ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels*

rm -rfd ~/Library/Preferences/parallels

rm -rfd ~/Library/Parallels

rm -rfd ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.parallels.desktop.console.savedState

rm -rfd /Library/logs/parallels.log

rm -rfd /Library/Preferences/Parallels/

rm -rfd /private/var/db/Parallels/

rm -rfd /private/var/.parallels_swap

rm -rfd /private/var/db/receipts/'com.parallels*'

rm -rfd /private/var/db/Parallels/Stats

rm -rfd /private/var/root/library/preferences/com.parallels.desktop.plist

rm -rfd ~/Applications\ \(Parallels\)/

rm -rfd /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/

exit
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Close Terminal. Go to Disk utility (Finder > Go > Utilities > Disk Utility.app) and run 'First Aid'. Reboot the Mac. Then, please download the setup file for Parallels Desktop 12 from https://parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 and run the same to install the software. Now, please check for the issues.