VS Studio freezes on Parallels 12 upon awakening from sleep

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Migueld1, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Migueld1

Migueld1 Bit poster

Hi,

I recently upgraded from parallels 10 on Yosemite to Parallels 12 on Sierra. I am experiencing Visual Studio 15 hanging almost every time when the machine goes into sleep mode. I've tried support via Parallels Twitter but could not get it resolved. I see others complaining about the same issue but no solution. I work for my self as a developer and this is a very serious issue for me as it is impacting my productive time negatively (all because I decided to pay and upgrade to the Pro version). I don't want to run bootcamp, so first prize would be to find a solution, or alternatively what else is viable that is worth it ? like VMware ?
    Real pity cause I love the product, if only it worked!

My VM has 6GB Ram 512mb video allocated to it. Im running MacBook Pro 2015 with 16gb Ram and Radeon Graphics card

IanD5 likes this.
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Migueld1, you can try changing your virtual machine profile into "Software Development" and this blog will help to know what are the changes will be applied if you select "Software Development" in the virtual machine configuration

3. MarcZ

MarcZ Bit poster

Hi Migueld1, I have the same problem with Visual Studio and it's really frustrating. I've submitting this to support twice but haven't heard anything back. Same thing happens on two separate mac books with Parallels 12 + Win10 + Visual Studio 2015. It happens about 1 out of every 3 resumes from sleep. When it happens, you can't even kill devenv.exe and Windows will not shutdown gracefully. The only solution is to Stop or Reset the VM and lose everything. Is anyone working on this?
    Thx, Marc

4. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

Happens here too, ever since updating to Parallels 12. I even tried a clean re-install of Windows to no avail.
    It doesn't happen every time I shut the lid on my MBP, but it does it often enough for me to start shutting down the VM prior to putting the MBP to sleep.

5. RichardP10

RichardP10 Junior Member

Just had that happen to me twice this week. It's very annoying.

6. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

It's especially frustrating when it's the "Pro" edition, specifically designed for the developer, and the main dev tool doesn't work in it o_O

7. MarcZ

MarcZ Bit poster

Parallels, how can we help you figure out this terrible problem? One of the main reasons I use Parallels is to use Visual Studio on a Mac. I'm finding myself searching for alternative Mac dev tools now, and using Parallels less and less. But I still need Visual Studio to run in Parallels. I've tried looking into the issue myself to hopefully find out where the process is hung, but when I attach to the VS process using WinDBG the debugger becomes extremely slow, nearly unresponsive, mouse clicks take minutes to respond. Can you acknowledge you know of the issue? If you need help repro'ing the issue, please reach out.
    Marc

IanD5 likes this.
  8. DimitrisM1

DimitrisM1 Bit poster

Extremely annoying, a huge problem. I could probably live with having to kill the frozen VS process, but it cannot be killed and I have to reset the VM.
    I simply cannot work like this, please share any finding/setting that might address the issue.

9. RichardP10

RichardP10 Junior Member

Happened again this morning - ugh. Time to work on something else for 20-30 minutes until my VM comes back to life - hopefully with my desktop and shortcuts available.

10. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

I'm wondering if it makes any difference with where the location of the project is.
    I load all my projects from a mac user directory and not from the Windows C: drive (meaning that I can access the project's files from the mac too).
    Has anyone had Visual Studio crash on wake from sleep when the project location is on the Windows C: drive? i.e. not on the \\psf\Home, \\mac or Z:\ but on the virtual disk of Windows itself.

11. DimitrisM1

DimitrisM1 Bit poster

I have all my projects on c:\, in the documents folder, not shared with Mac.
    No luck, VS freezes.

12. RichardP10

RichardP10 Junior Member

My projects are on the C: drive of the VM and this issue happens to me as well.

13. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

Shoot, that's a shame. Thanks for saving me the time on trying.

14. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Guys,

To investigate this issue we would need you to collect the following data when this issue is happening and send it to us:
    1. Technical Data Report, via Help menu > Send Technical Data... > post the ID here.
    2. A core dump, instructions to collect are here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/121323, upload it to this site: http://fe.parallels.com/7087c48c7e347df483a4792e8cc556c4/

This will help us a lot to analyze the situation. Thank you in advance!

15. MtnViewJohn

MtnViewJohn Junior Member

I have a similar issue, Visual Studio 2015 & 2017 hanging. But for me it happens at random after a few minutes of use. I never put my Windows 10 VM to sleep. I am getting very little done in VS right now :( I have uploaded the technical info and the ID is 169956547. The core dump is 2.4GB. How do we upload to the file exchange link? I don't see any UI for adding files. Casn we have a rsync URL?

16. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

Dmitry I've just submitted a technical data report with Id 170252760.
    I'd upload the memory dump too but is there a way to keep it non-publicly available (perhaps using dropbox / wetransfer)? It looks like the parallels file exchange service keeps uploads public.

17. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi Anthony,

I'll send you a private message with the upload location.

18. JamesS11

JamesS11 Bit poster

I find since the upgrade of Parallels to 12.2.0 (41591) that Visual Studio 2015 crashes much more often inside the Parallels desktop.

19. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We have requested you on Facebook to provide us a problem report id when the issue re-occurs.

20. IanD5

IanD5 Bit poster

Hi There, I am also having this problem. I am using windows 10 and VS2017. I Just tried to reinstall everything. Windows/VS and latest Parallels and nothing has fixed it. If anything it is worse and now happens 100% of the time after my VM sleeps. It's driving me crazy as I only use my VM for Visual Studio.